Sunday 4 September 2016

Weekends That Were - September 2016

30.9.16

Kayaking Bulimba Creek - again

High tide at 9.30.
Hit water at 8.15 at Meadowlands Rd.
Put kayak in water beside pontoon with paddle on pontoon.
Got in, messed around with Go-Pro, drifted away from pontoon with paddle still on pontoon….
Another Colin F-Up.
Paddled back to pontoon using hands.
Grabbed paddle and set off.
Reached Wynnum Rd bridge after about an hour. Paddled on under another smaller road bridge, then under the main motorway bridges.

Shortly afterwards the combination of the extra high tide and low tree branches dissuaded me from going any further, so I turned around and reached the pontoon safely – and dry – two and half hours after leaving.


29.9.16

Instead


A cloudy morning was predicted with showers to follow – and that was exactly what it was like. A still, dull morning and, once again, the birds reflected the conditions. I’m almost fed up saying this- but it was very quiet.
I mean really quiet.
I mean deathly, WTF quiet.
I headed up the usual track with a few Torresian Crows and a Pied Currawong calling. That was it. The track was dead.
Halfway up the crows got all fired up and a Collared Sparrowhawk landed in one of the trees. For a few minutes they circled around it, joined by a small group of Blue-faced Honeyeaters, but after a short while it appeared everyone got bored and went home, leaving the Hawk to contemplate its importance alone.
Collared Sparrowhawk
I took to turning over any logs and stones that appeared moveable and in most cases found only ant colonies. However, under one rock, I found a large, live snail. Snails in Queensland are not common so this was exciting!
I believe it is a Pale Banded Snail Figuladra mattea  - and I took a picture of it in my hand for size comparison before returning it to its hideout.

Pale Banded Snail Figuladra matte
At one point on the upper track a pair of White-throated Gerygones appeared to be mobbing an Olive-backed Oriole - I couldn’t see any reason for it, but assume the Oriole was too near their nest.
I eventually garnered 41 birds for the morning, including a pair of Channel-billed Cuckoos, a calling Pacific Koel and three calling Pheasant Coucals, but it was hard work.
Best bird? I went off track alongside the bitumen strip and flushed a buttonquail of indeterminate species. It flew to my left and behind me and I only got a fleeting glimpse of a ‘smallish’ all brown quail-like bird. I don’t believe it was a Brown Quail as 1. It was alone and 2. It’s flight jizz was different - more direct, faster. I decided it was most likely Painted Buttonquail, although Red-backed is a strong contender due to its apparent small size. We’ve (heard only) Painted here on several occasions so…….
I added a couple of butterflies to the site list – Large Grass-yellow and Caper White – and Glasswing and Monarch also put in an appearance.

In the field I noticed a recently developed trench running along the edge of the grass. Notices on yellow poles along its length described a Cathodic Protection Anode Bed installed by Seq Water. In typical Queensland utility fashion, the trench had not been backfilled adequately and so had subsided leaving a distinct trench in the surface. I had no idea what that was, but investigations at home revealed it is most likely a sacrificial anode tied in with the large water pipe that runs alongside the road. This anode is designed to corrode first – thus preserving the pipe. Or so it would seem. I can’t see any other reason for a thing like this to be out here. Why it had to be routed through the reserve is beyond me, but there it is.

28.9.16

Norman Creek, Holland Park West


Just a 45 minute visit before going on a 2 hour bike ride…..
Mostly the usual species. A pair of Black Ducks appeared in the creek with 8 freshly hatched ducklings – very cute and lovely to see successful breeding in such an urban environment. The pair of Golden-headed Cisticolas showed up again – in the same spot as last week – pretty sure they too are breeding.
Scored three new butterflies for the site – Caper White (they seem to be everywhere at the moment), Long-tailed Pea-blue (identified yesterday again at Minnippi so I am currently up to date with the details!) and the ubiquitous Monarch.  

Tried for Bush Hen and Lewin’s Rail without success.

27.9.16

Minnippi


A cloudy, dull still morning and the birds appeared to respond accordingly – it was very quiet. A Pale-vented Bush Hen called downriver, but the lake was almost completely empty. On the M1 track a Sacred Kingfisher showed, a recent return presumably, and my first Oriental Dollarbird of the season perched up quietly above the track.
Up the Avenue a Brown Goshawk overhead and a Caper White butterfly Belenois java – my first record on this site. I also had a new butterfly – Large Grass-yellow Eurema hecabe.

Caper White Belenois java   
Large Grass-yellow Eurema hecabe.
Back at the lake the usual birds plus a couple of Wandering Whistle Ducks huddled in the grass along the side of the island.
Up the hill my first Channel-billed Cuckoo of the season called from the big fig trees.
Down the Airfield Track and little activity. There were a number of Dainty Grass-yellow butterflies Zizula hylax but apart from that little else.

A stop at Stu’s Lookout was unproductive as was the walk back to the car, although I did see a number of Long-tailed Pea Blue Lampides boeticus along the track.

26.9.16

My Eye - update


I had another injection today.
Not a way I would choose to start my week.
No apparent improvement today since the last injection.
However, I cycled in and cycled home and spent the day at home resting my eye and generally taking it easy.
Next injection - 4 weeks this time. 24th October.
Maybe the shorter period will make a difference.

22-24.9.16

Andy's tick fest


A friend of Mr D’s, bird guide Andy Walker, arrived on a 6.15 flight and, after Mr D picked him up at the airport, we met at Wallaroo Circuit in North Lakes to try for a recently reported Black-backed Bittern.
(Andy has quite an extensive bird list for Australia but there were a few birds he was keen to get so we had decided what we could try for in the limited time available. It was always going to be a challenge....)
Wallaroo Circuit 'pond'-(the famous Yellow Bittern pond of 2014)
Scarlet Jezebel Delias argenthona
An hour and a half later and we decided it wasn’t going to show, unfortunately, so we headed home, got our stuff together and then it was off to Binna Burra for a night’s camping. I did score a ‘new’ butterfly – a Scarlet Jezebel - of which we were going to see a heap more of over the ensuing days.

On site at 15.00, we set up camp and went for a wander around the immediate area and into the rainforest on a short loop. We weren’t trying too hard – just a preliminary stroll really to get some of the common stuff sorted for Andy - Large-billed, Yellow-throated and White-browed Scrubwrens, Brown Thornbills and Gerygones – best bird, a pair of Australian Logrunners. We got into the fungi thing and took photos of a range of species, some of which I have managed to identify, some still remain unknown…

Peppery Coral Fungus Artomyces piperatus
Rainbow Fungi Trametes versicolorus
Back at camp we feasted on reheated boil-in-the-bag dinners and shot the shit until it was properly dark.
We headed in on the border track, turned off at the loop circuit and arrived back in the carpark an hour or so later. On the way we managed to find Andy his first lifer of this Brisbane sojourn – Marbled Frogmouth. We also picked up a number of Ring-tailed Possums in the trees.

A cool night passed and, a little sleep deprived, we were up at 5, packed up the tents, had coffee, museli bars and fruit for breakfast, then it was off into the forest again for the two hour hike to The Spot.
We set up and waited and were rewarded, eventually, with three views of two separate Rufous Scrub-bird. The best view was occurring as another couple of hikers appeared on the trail behind us – unbelievable! Rob’s 15 year quest almost ended at the critical moment…..THEY even managed to see the bird as it posed in the middle of the track! Jesus!!
All were brief views, one in particular when a bird ran over Rob’s foot, but identifiable/tickable, a lifer for both Rob and Andy (2nd) - and a very successful outing for all.
The march back included good views of a male Paradise Riflebird, Green Catbirds, Regent and Satin Bowerbirds, the usual calls of assorted rainforest pigeons and Noisy Pittas.
Back at the campsite we indulged in good coffee, scones, cream & jam in the Binna Burra café before heading home.
A break of an hour to regroup, shower and gird our loins and we were off again – this time to Moggil – targets White-eared Monarch & Masked Owl.
We got the Monarch fairly quickly at the location off Mill Rd (No 3) among a few other local species including Fan-tailed and Shining Bronze Cuckoo and Black-faced Monarch.
Then it was on to the Owl site. We had to wait 15 minutes or so as dusk fell then moved in to view the tree hollow. As we did a pair of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos arrived and appeared to enter the hole. This wasn’t good - if a Cockatoo went in it was unlikely the owls were home. And they weren’t, but they were still local and shortly showed up. We assumed that as the young had been reared and left the nest hole they were now roosting elsewhere.
The Owls were very active – as were a pair of Southern Boobooks which also showed up and flew around the area. We eventually got scope views of the Masked Owl pair perched up, some distance away but very tickable. No 4 for Andy.
Another Mackers meal on the way home and then it was an early crash – for me at least.

Next morning I picked the other two up at 5.45 and we headed for Cleveland, stopping off at Mackers on the way for breakfast. We got the usual water taxi – usual time but a brand new, bigger boat – and arrived off Dunwich 30 minutes later. Scanning the low tide sand Mr D spotted a Beach Stone Curlew some distance away south of the harbor. Andy jumped ship as quickly as possible and ran down and out along the beach to get a better view and photos before the bus trundled into view. No 5.
The bus got us to the point at 8 and we headed out through the Caper White butterflies milling around in their dozens.
I had hoped for a few shearwaters, but a two and a half hour seawatch seated on the grass in the almost windless, calm, sunny morning provided nothing but Australian Gannets. We did see plenty of performing Humpback Whales and Humpback and Inshore Bottlenose Dolphins were in the waters just below us – which satisfied Andy’s ticking instincts.

We headed back and did the reverse trip arriving home at 12.30 when I dropped them off to pursue other avenues. A very successful two and a half days birding!

21.9.16

Oxley


A good morning in Oxley – nothing outrageous, of course, but a good list of 52 species despite the low variety and numbers of water birds at the ponds.

Five Little Corellas flew over, a couple of Leaden Flycatchers along the track and a flock of at least 10 Red-browed Finches enjoyed the grass and weed seeds ahead of the Green Army’s pending ‘clean-up’… A number of Fairy and Tree Martins posed on the fence.

Fairy and Tree Martin


19.9.16

Norman Creek, Holland Park West


I wanted a quickie this morning, but had to settle for a short bird down the road….ha ha ha ha, Gawd.
A relatively cool, cloudy, damp morning and the birds were quiet as a result. I ended up with only 16 species for the 45 minutes, but, rather surprisingly, a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo was the 72nd species to join my site list! I find it hard to believe I have never recorded this bird here before, but there ya are!
OK – so now a bit of anality…..
Today I only recorded 16 species.
Last Friday it was 21.
Pretty small lists?
Yep, for sure, but overall a total of 27 separate species.
I think that’s impressive – once again, given the location and habitat.
Today’s ‘additional’ species were:
Red-backed Fairywren (1)
Noisy Friarbird (1)
Spangled Drongo (1)
Pied Currawong (1)
Pied Butcherbird (1)
And, of course, the Cockatoo.

Anyway, I hope that makes some sort of sense – and that’s my story for today!

17.9.16

Toohey


Mr Dickie-knee D (sorry, Rob!) didn’t want a big morning, having ‘things to do’, so he chose Toohey for our Saturday morning’s wander. I wasn’t wholly enthusiastic but better that than no birding at all……and I guess it was better than being face down, underwater, in Bulimba creek wondering if I’d get out of a canoe….
On site at 6.45 and a few birds calling – an elusive Whistler that I put down as a Rufous, Grey Shrikethrush, Yellow-faced and White-throated Honeyeaters, Striated Pardalote and generally the two hour wander comprised more of the same. We did have a Spectacled Monarch and a Collared Sparrowhawk, both of which, surprisingly, were new for site for me, however, as I only have 15 recorded visits to Toohey this probably wasn’t exceptional.
Mr D did hear White-throated Gerygone and Leaden Flycatcher and saw a pair of King Parrots fly over – all of which I didn’t hear/see..…..nothing unusual in that given the state of my hearing generally…..
Incidentally this brought my bird list for the site to 70 - one less than I have recorded at Norman Creek (see previous entry) - which once again goes to show how much one can achieve in a small patch of ground (Norman Creek) with persistence.

It was an easy two hours and we repaired as usual to Belesis to be served by our favourite waitress, Georgia, and spend the next two hours shooting the shit.

16.9.16

Norman Creek, Holland Park West


Reviewing my Excel spreadsheet lists the night before I realised it had been a while since I had birded ‘just down the road’ where Norman Creek passes near my home.
When I first moved into the area in 2009 I birded this spot quite heavily over a period of 3 years. Then I had virtually stopped going. The last time I had a recorded visit was in October 2013 – my 52nd visit. I had amassed a total of 70 species in that time – admittedly nothing remarkable or notable, but still an amazing total given the location and habitat.
The site borders Birdwood rd and is, essentially, a scrappy patch of land behind the houses that has been used as a soil dump ground in the past and that a developer has been threatening for years to turn into an aged retirement facility. It comprises an open field of rank grass and weeds beside an overgrown stretch of Norman Creek that has a low canopy of thin scraggy, creeper infested riparian habitat. At the ‘north’ end or upriver there is a more open section of the creek beside Birdwood Rd and adjacent to a small - very small - public park. I used to restrict my visits to a serious 30 minutes – and realistically, that’s more than one needs to easily cover all points of the compass within the site.
Anyway, I decided this morning would be time to revisit.
In 40 minutes (no current restriction, but as I said that was enough to cover everything) I achieved a list of 21 birds and 1 butterfly including an additional species for the site – Australian Golden Whistler! 21 was, in fact, was quite a good daily list for the site in comparison to my previous visits.
Mostly what one would expect:
Australian White Ibis (1)
Pacific Black Duck (3)
Spotted Dove (4)
Crested Pigeon (2)
Galah (1 – fly over)
Rainbow Lorikeet (8 – fly over)
Laughing Kookaburra (1)
Superb Fairy-wren (2 – female)
Striated Pardalote (1)
Brown Honeyeater (5)
Welcome Swallow (1)
Willy Wagtail (4)
Silvereye (1)
Olive-backed Oriole (1 – heard only)
Australian Figbird (2)
Torresian Crow (4)
Australian Magpie (1)
Magpie Lark (3)
and a pair of Golden-headed Cisticolas which looked like they might be nesting.
Two Cabbage White butterflies were, in fact, the first butterflies I have recorded on site given my only recent revitalized interest!
Over the years I have seen 4 raptors including Grey Goshawk, 2 Cormorants, 2 Ibis, 2 Ducks, 5 ‘parrot-type’ species, all 3 local Fairy-wrens, 8 Honeyeater species, 2 Finches including Scaly-breasted Munia (once) and best of all – a White-winged Triller!

It’s not earth-shaking, but its been, and continues to be, an interesting observation of what one can see if one persists, regardless of the perceived environment.

14.9.16

Kayaking Bulimba Creek


It’s been a while, a few years in fact, since I kayaked. I used to paddle twice a week before going to work, but that was a long time ago – work circumstances changed and put paid to that. I did do Oxley Creek once but that was still some time ago. I thought I’d give Bulimba creek a go so I loaded the boat onto the car the night before, made sure I had everything ready to rock n roll and set off to arrive at the kayak pontoon at Meadowlands Rd by 6.30.
I drove almost all the way to the pontoon, off loaded the kayak and then parked the car in the carpark about 100 meters away.
I was travelling light – dive boots, speedos, shorts, t-shirt, sunglasses and a cap and the only ‘thing’ I carried were the car keys locked securely in a re-sealable plastic bag inside a dry bag slung over my shoulder. No camera, no bins, no phone, no wallet – I wasn’t taking any chances losing any gear. And, still in-line with not taking chances, I wore a life jacket. 
I had bought the latter when I bought the kayak, but had, in fact, never worn it past the first day, I don’t know why, maybe I thought I was too cool back then or, as I was on the open river, there would be people around to assist? Be that as it may, I had often wondered what I would do if I turned over? Would I be able to get out of the boat if it flipped?
The only time I remember ever turning over in a canoe was about 45 years ago in a freezing cold lough in the Wicklow mountains when, as part of a school thing, we spent some time canoeing.
It was a very short time for me as I turned turtle almost immediately after launching and was ordered out of the water to avoid hypothermia.
I do remember that I had struggled to get clear of the boat then and, at least in my memory, nearly drowned.
I also remember the instructor was not impressed with my performance.
In all the time I kayaked Brisbane River from Norman Creek I never remember wearing the life jacket, assuming I would be able to manage OK when the time came. However, this morning, considering I would be on a creek with no one else around, few places to exit the water easily, lots of trees, bushes, logs and muddy banks and in an environment I wasn’t familiar with I decided to wear the jacket - just in case.

Back at the pontoon I managed to get into the boat without falling over and set off down the creek. 
It was much as I expected, slow moving muddy water, the tide still incoming which was a positive, heavily vegetated banks varying from grass to mud, to trees, mangroves, reeds – I’m sure you get the picture. Lots of flotsam and debris in the river – most of it natural, but including almost extinct tennis balls, plastic bottles, pieces of wood and the like. In several spots trees had fallen and blocked most of the river requiring careful negotiation, but it was a clear enough passage for the most part.
A few Black Ducks, a repetitively flushed pair of Wood Ducks, the odd Purple Swamphen and Dusky Moorhen and a good number of Water Dragons, mostly sunning themselves on protruding branches splashing down into the river below on my approach. Nothing very exciting wildlife wise.
I paddled for an hour, at that point just reaching the Wynnum Rd bridge – probably about 3-3.5 kms? I had planned on going further but my arms were aching a little, my legs needed a stretch and I figured that another hour back would make it a good morning out for my first-in-a-long-time kayak.

I turned and headed back with the still incoming tide.
Back past Minnippi parklands, under the bridge we usually walk across, anticipating the final 15 or 20 minute paddle to the next challenge – getting out of the boat at the pontoon….

My attention may have wandered a little as I found myself heading for a hanging branch in the middle of the river. Not necessarily a problem, but you never know if there are ants or something in the foliage so best to avoid. I don’t know if I just didn’t act quickly enough or the current caught me unawares, but I ploughed, cursing, into the leaves and thin branches. Again – not normally an issue, just brush them aside and carry on, however, in the middle of all this there was a vine loop which caught me round the neck, pulled me back and I tipped over.

I heard myself take a big breath as the boat tipped and I knew I was goin’ in.

Under water. No vision. A dim light somewhere to my left. Still clutching the paddle. My legs came free of the cockpit easily as I, basically, fell out of the boat. And bobbed to the surface.

Shit. F..k. Shit. F..k – repeated several times.

I grabbed onto the upturned hull – not that it was going anywhere - and looked around.
Still hanging onto the paddle, I retrieved my hat, sunglasses gone, the dry bag with my precious car keys and remote opener floating beside me looking a little deflated. Had water got in?

More Shits and F..ks.

I steered the boat and myself to the nearest bank which, thankfully was mainly heavy duty water weeds mixed with grass; found my footing in the mud and hauled myself and the boat out of the very slow current and into the vegetation. I managed to turn the boat right side up and then, dragging it further onto the weeds/grass, empty it of most of the water.

Yet more Shits and F..ks…..

I checked my keys – everything appeared OK, apart from my sunglasses of course, now presumably residing on the bottom of the creek.
I carefully got myself back on board, which was an achievement in itself, and paddled on up the river, dripping water, to reach the pontoon without further incident and drag myself un-gainfully out of the boat.
Then it was a case of getting the boat out of the river, getting the rest of the water out of the boat, portaging it to the picnic area, washing it down, ringing myself out and then getting the boat onto the car before heading home for a shower and a much needed coffee.

I was a bit pissed cause I forgot to take the Go Pro and it would have made a minor incident a funny, if not X-rated, video………
At least I had answered the original question – what would happen when I turned over?

Now I know.

13.9.16

Manorina, Mt Nebo


I thought it was time I visited the Mt Glorious/Mt Nebo area again. It’s been a long time since I walked the tracks and so I headed off on the 40 minute drive to Manorina just past Mt Nebo village.


The first bird I heard when I got out of the car at 6.45 was a Noisy Pitta – calling fairly close but remaining hidden and not responding.
It took me the best part of two hours to walk the 3 km track to the lookout. 



Needless to say it was a deliberately slow walk with only distant or fleeting glimpses of most birds. All in all I’d have to say the track was quiet, although I did have two Wonga Pigeons on the ground ahead of me at one stage and, later, a pair of Russet-tailed Thrushes. I assume they were Russet-tailed as opposed to Basian given the lower altitude preference of Russet-tailed.

Russet-tailed Thrush 
Most species seen were to be expected – Golden Whistlers, Lewin Honeyeaters, Grey and Rufous Fantails, Yellow Robins, Eastern Whip birds, calling Wompoo Fruit and Brown Cuckoo Doves, White-throated Treecreepers and a single Fan-tailed Cuckoo. The only Brown Gerygones I saw were on the fire trail. Maybe Spring hasn’t really kicked off up here yet?

Brown Gerygone

I walked back via the fire train and then back down the road to the car park. A Bell Miner colony located around the junction of the trail/road appeared quite extensive and I did hear Tusk Frogs calling in the private dam on the opposite side of the road. A couple of large Boletes sprouting in the middle of the trail remain unidentified.


Unidentified Boletes
8.9.16

Kumbarcho Reserve & Samsonvale Cemetery


I decided to try Kumbarcho. Recently there have been some good birds listed and I figured it was a good time to try somewhere new. So I headed off with ‘Karen Navman’ leading the way…..
On site at 6.30 and I wondered if I’d come to the right place – Ms Navman has been known to be wrong before – however, the sign clearly stated Kumbarcho Environmental reserve so I was obviously in the right spot.
To say I was surprised would be a bit of an understatement. It reminded me of Fleay’s with fencing and paths and signs and borders and….well, it was all very organised and ‘managed’. I had been expecting a much wilder less ‘controlled’ environment – but it was surrounded by houses so….
I set off towards The Butterfly House, wandered The Fairytale Track and checked out the re-vitalised water hole and hide.
I walked down to the almost dry river bed, through the rainforest and along the riverbank for a short distance – more or less leaving Kumbarcho itself, it seemed.
I was a little underwhelmed with the bird life, I must admit. Mind you, maybe its me. I go to places like this with amazing lists from other birders and just don’t come up with the same stuff. Some dude spent 4 and a half hours here yesterday. FOUR and a HALF HOURS? I don’t know what he did for all that time. I’d covered the place pretty thoroughly within 60 minutes and don’t think I missed much….but then again, maybe I did.
I did have 1 Spectacled Monarch (he had 4 apparently), I did hear Peaceful Dove and saw a distant Brown Cuckoo Dove. The only birds I saw in the ‘rainforest’ section was one Rufous Fantail, a few Lewin’s Honeyeaters and a Golden Whistler. All in all it was a bit of a let down with 24 species – unless I’m missing something? I did hear a few Tusked Frogs calling in the almost dry riverbed – identified mainly because they were in an enclosure in Kumbarcho itself……
 
View from hide at Kumbarcho
I was reluctant to face the traffic home at 8.00 so decided to head cross country to Samsonvale.

I got to Gold Scrub Lane and checked out the lake – not a lot, a couple of Great Crested Grebes won best bird, then into the Hoop Pine plantation. It was quite warm by this time and the birds quiet as a result. I did see a couple of Yellow Robins, heard (!) and saw a White-throated Gerygone, 3 Whistling Kites together and heard a White-throated Treecreeper – only my third record here since 2001.


That was about it – I left just before 10 and suffered through the 60 minute drive home……

6.9.16

Oxley


I was on site at 6.30 expecting an average morning’s birding. In fact it turned out a little better – but only by Oxley’s standards really.
The track was birdier than it has been for quite a while. Two Striated Pardalotes, a female Leaden Flycatcher, a Mangrove Gerygone, Rufous Whistler, a small flock of Silvereyes and two Little Friarbirds in the trees immediately above the entrance gate was unusual. On out to the ponds and the numbers were good, if nothing specifically remarkable.
The gate at the turn off to the ponds was pulled across the track, I undid the chain and walked on – no apparent reason, but it may have had a good result. At the ponds a pair of Glossy Ibis stood for a few minutes before taking off and flying east. I reckon they would have been gone before I got there if the gate had been open - the ‘closed’ gate probably put off the usual dog walkers and joggers. 

Glossy Ibis
There were a couple of Royal Spoonbills in the left pond which also may have been scared off otherwise. The last time I had Glossies here was 22.11.2008 so this was a nice surprise.
A raptor perched on the fence line gave me something to climb the gate and chase across the field. It was a bit challenging at distance with only its back in view – but resolved itself as a Brown Goshawk eventually.

Brown Goshawk
Walking back another nice one – 3 Red-browed Finches track side. This is only the third time I have seen this species here and previously it was only 1 bird on each occasion.

Red-browed Finch

Like I said – not a bad morning……by Oxley standards!

4.9.16

Minnippi

Mr D picked me up at 6.30 and we were walking towards the creek from the carpark by 6.45.
A Pale-vented Bush Hen called once, unsolicited, downriver from the bridge, then we continued to the lake. Pretty quiet, as has been the norm of late – a Pink-eared Duck could be seen, distantly, and later we confirmed the continuing presence of the two birds.
At the entrance to the M1 track a pair of White-throated Honeyeaters showed but otherwise the trees were more or less empty of other blossom feeders. A short way in and excited warning calls led to Mr D spotting a raptor perched high up. It moved a couple of times and we agreed it was a Collared Sparrowhawk before it left in frustration. I collected the snake skin I found on my previous visit to show my grandson – it was still quite flexible, although had dried out somewhat.
On up the Alley and a small number of Chestnut-breasted Mannikins popped up in the long grass. 
The lake had the usual ducks etc being fed bread enthusiastically by a small fat man with a dog, while a couple of old dears chased after a young Scots Terrier who did not want to go home.
We walked up to Stu’s Raptor Lookout and decided not to go further – Mr D’s knee is still a little fragile and I chose not to bother given the lack of anything exciting on the Airfield track on my last few visits. A hovering Black-shouldered Kite put in an appearance before we headed back towards the car and pancakes at Belesis on a very busy Father’s Day Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment