Friday 1 May 2020

Weekends That Were - May 2020


Day 51 Friday 1.5.20

The day dawned bright, sunny and windy so I headed off to Cabinteely Park after breakfast to take advantage.
Pretty average day and the cold, blustery northerly kept the birds down. I did add Common Chiffchaff to the site list, but that was about it. Once again I had a Long-tailed Tit with a beak-full of food, but, surprisingly, the Dabchicks were not on the pond.

*******

Leo Varadkar, An Taoiseach, the Irish Prime Minister delivered a message tonight live, around 18.30, explaining why the current restrictions are being (mostly) extended for another 2 weeks.

It is, without doubt, the best speech I have heard throughout this crisis from ANY world leader. It puts to shame the likes of The Moron in the USA, the UK government stooges and the other Moron in Australia.

I would urge you to click (or copy & paste) the YouTube link below and watch a REAL leader talk to his people.

I cried.

https://youtu.be/NtYYCEg8LAE

*******

Covid-19

Australia: 6,767 and 93.

Ireland: 20,833 and 1,265 (+34)

From next Tuesday (until May18th):

    We will be allowed to exercise within 5 kms of home (up from 2kms)
    Over 70s can also exercise within those limits so long as they stay away from everyone else.

From May 18th further easing will take place, including some sectors of the work force returning to work. 
Schools will not re-open until September - the end of the traditional summer holidays. 
There will be 5 x 3 week stages of improved conditions. so it will be mid-August before all restrictions are raised completely.

That's if nothing goes wrong.

UK: 177,454 and 27,510 (+739)

USA: 1,111,543 and 64,887 (+1031) Now The Moron thinks the virus was created in a Wuhan lab, despite the fact that his OWN MEDICAL people tell him it is not of human creation or manipulation. Some people continue to protest the lockdown in some states, some of them armed, for God's sake. 
I say - let them go about their lives, warn sensible people to stay away from them, BUT make it clear that there will be NO health assistance if they do get sick. 

That would solve the issue one way or the other.

Trip Total: 95

Day 52 Saturday 2.5.20

Although another sunny, cool, calm day, I really didn’t feel like doing much. I had breakfast with Herself, and then waited until she had a shower before going for a walk to Deerpark. It was, therefore, late in the morning, and the park very busy with screaming kids, barking dogs, prams, strollers, picnickers, ball kickers, bike riders, joggers, talkers, walkers and general citizen activities. I don’t really blame them, they want to get out and about, exercise or lose their kids, pick up dog shit and use that bike I-gave-you-for-Christmas.
I just wish they’d do it somewhere else.
However, I walked into the woodland edge and stopped and waited. A Goldfinch alighted at the top of a tree nearby, followed soon after by a male Chaffinch. I continued to watch and wait and another bird flew in, landed momentarily lower down in a tree, before flying on to land on another. I managed to get the bins on it before it disappeared and was delighted to add a new species to my site and, more importantly my trip, list. A bird I’ve been looking for at Deerpark for 5 weeks, across 18 visits (Jesus wept) – a Eurasian Treecreeper.
That brings my site list for Deerpark to 27 species!!
Exciting times…..

Covid-19

Australia: 6,783 and still 93 deaths, no additional deaths overnight and only 16 new cases! Good work!

Ireland: 21,176 and 1.286 deaths - an additional 21 deaths overnight and 343 new cases. Low figures, hopefully the trend will continue.

UK: 182,260 and 28,131 – another 621 deaths overnight. I don’t see the downward curve, Boris.

USA: 1,154,931 and 67,099 – an additional 1,346 deaths and 23,901 new cases overnight. Good work Moron.

Trip Total: 96


Day 53 Sunday 3.5.20

I didn’t go birding or walking today. I hung around until I got Mum onto her on-line, virtual church service. Then hung around a bit more, but finally started to scrape and paint again. I went to Aldi and did some necessary shopping then back to the sanding and painting. My sister and niece braved the police blockades on the motorway and came up to see Mum and that was about it.
I must admit I feel myself getting a bit depressed. It's sometimes a struggle to rationalise everything, maintain optimism and stay positive. I’m beginning to doubt that I’ll get home any time soon. I’m starting to think it might be more difficult than I thought. However, there’s not much I have to get home for. I miss the kids but they have their own life to lead and I don’t really see that much of them normally anyway. I’m not sure there’s much else to draw me back. 
Mum needs me at the moment, although I’m sure if I wasn’t here she’d manage just as well. It also looks as if Antarctica might not happen this year. It appears that international travel out of Australia might not re-start properly until next year. 
I guess time will tell with everything. 
In the meantime I struggle to keep an optimistic outlook and try to get by day by day.

Covid-19

Australia: 6,801 and 95

Ireland: 21,506 and 1,303. An additional 17 deaths, but still 330 new cases.

UK: 186,599 and 28,446. Another 315 deaths.

USA: 1,184,439 and 68,405.

Trip Total: 96

Day 54 Monday 4.5.20

Another beautiful morning, clear blue skies and warm sun and so I went to Cabinteely Park again.
Once again, mostly the same birds – just like any patch really. This time I walked the entire length of the small creek to a section I hadn’t walked before which was kinda outside the main park, walking upstream through a suburban green zone. There wasn’t much anywhere along that part, but right at the end where the creek became impossible to follow I found my quarry, such as it was – a pair of Grey Wagtails feeding young in a nest on an ivy-covered wall. 
The pond in the Park
The ivy covered wall
The Grey Wagtail's nest - too high to get an interior photo
That was about it and then it was home and back to the painting with Mum ensconced in a deck chair under an umbrella…..
Umbrella by Lorraine, support by Panda bins.
Covid-19

Worldwide: 3.6 million cases and more than 250 thousand deaths.

Australia: 6,825 and 95. Nothing new overnight – apart from 24 new cases.

Ireland: 21,772 and 1,319 – an additional 266 cases but only 16 deaths overnight. 2kms restrictions increase to 5 tomorrow and >70s can go for a walk so long as they avoid contact with everyone else.

UK: 190,584 and 28,734 an impressive 3,985 extra cases and 288 deaths overnight. Catching up with Italy’s 211,938 and 29,079 deaths

USA: 1,205,680 and 69,220 - another 17 and a half thousand cases overnight and 622 deaths. Way out front leading the way – the Moron should be proud!

Trip Total: 96


Day 55 Tuesday 5.5.20

As the new ‘restrictions’ came into force today I decided to venture a bit further. I headed down to Booterstown Marsh – about 4.5 kms  - first. It was a bright sunny morning but the easterly wind was quite strong and cold.
It appeared the sluice gates were closed because although it was high tide at 10.30, the marsh was mostly bare mud with just a couple of patches of shallow water, mostly at the far end. There was a flock of ~70 Black-tailed Godwit, some in bright summer plumage, 13 Dunlin,also in summer plumage showing their black bellies, 4 Little Egrets, 2 Common Redshanks, 3 Common Shelducks (I like Shelducks) and a new trip tick - a solitary Whimbrel.
I chatted to another, older, birder from Leopardstown (near Kilmacud) who had also made the run for the site.
Then I headed for the West Pier at Dun Laoghaire. The sea was lovely to see after several weeks away from the coast, it was choppy with white horses and the waves were breaking right up the sloping rocks at the back of the pier – so no waders.
Scoping the bay I saw 2 Razorbills (trip tick), ~20 Common Guillemots, ~30 Northern Gannets, ~20 Common and ~10 Sandwich terns (both trip ticks), 2 Great Crested Grebes in summer plumage and 4 Barn Swallows flew past. Mostly European Herring Gulls, with a few Great Black-backed and 2 Black-legged Kittiwakes. The only passerines along the wall were Magpies, Hoodies, 1 Pied Wagtail and 2 Meadow Pipits. I had been hoping for a stray Wheatear, but no sign of any migrant passerines at all.
It was good to see some different birds and to be out and about a bit further as my trip list finally hit 100 species after 55 days in country.

Covid-19

Australia: 6,849 and 96.

Ireland; 21,983 and 1,339. Plus 20 deaths overnight and 211 new cases.

UK: 194,990 and 29,427 – now officially the largest death toll in Europe. Are we surprised?

USA: 1,230,976 and 71,783.
Trip Total: 100



Day 56 Wednesday 6.5.20

Being ‘allowed’ to venture a little further I decided to try for Ticknock wood in the lower Dublin Mtns – about 6kms away. There was nothing in EBird to suggest it was worthwhile but it seemed like a potential lower mountain habitat that might provide some alternative birding. 
However when I got there at 8.45 the road in was closed – presumably to stop idiots like me going for a walk - so I drove further along the narrow country back roads looking for somewhere to park and walk. I didn’t find anywhere, most of the road was through large private garden estates or small farms – there just wasn’t anywhere I knew of to stop and walk. 
I did find Ballycorus – an old mine site site we used to visit 50 years ago, where there was a small pond and a stream through woodland, but the gates were seriously barred and I couldn’t find a way in. So I ended up back in Cabinteely Park again.
I birded for a while seeing a couple of Eurasian Blackcaps and finding a half built Eurasian Wren’s nest, then spent 45 minutes on the phone with Mr D catching up on the birding scene both here and in Brisbane.
Moving on, the park was quite busy and I saw less of the usual birds, but did add Common Buzzard to the site list and, at last, a Common Swift, the first of the trip. There was one Dabchick sitting in the pond, quite still. I assume it was ‘standing guard’ for the its mate on the nest I saw them building in the reeds the other day.
 (My Buzzard and Swift warranted reports on the Irish Bird Sighting list - my name in lights again)

Covid-19

Australia: 6,875 and 97.

Ireland: 22,248 and 1,375. Another 36 deaths, but only 265 new cases. Further discussion re the lifting of restrictions, but no major changes at the moment. The pubs are arguing for re-opening at the same time as cafes and restaurants - they were scheduled to open 6 weeks after the latter - and hairdressers are worried about a 'black market' in hairdos if they don't get to reopen sooner than planned.........I know I need a haircut, but really? A black market?

UK: 201,101 and 30,076 deaths. Another high of 649 deaths overnight.

USA: 1,252,430 and 73,791. An additional 1,520 deaths overnight and confusion and chaos continues in Moron Land.

Trip Total: 101
Day 57 Thursday 7.5.20

A cloudy, warmish morning and I headed down for my daily constitution on the West Pier at Dun Laoghaire. 
I like to walk the West Pier. 
The birding is relatively easy and being on the coast you never really know what might turn up. It’s about 2 kms long with 3 ‘corners’ as it were. The ‘back’ of the wall slopes down into the waters of Dublin Bay and provides some feeding at low to medium tides with a band of exposed seaweed attracting small waders. The wall itself is wide and perfectly designed for social distancing so there’s no drama about avoiding other people. There are 2 ‘levels’ too, and most people walk on the lower level. There’s a convenient chest-high wall to rest your elbows on when scanning with bins and three gaps in the wall leading to either steps or a grassy platform perfect for setting up a scope. 
The view to the north is towards Bull Island and the East Wall – approximately 8-10 (?) ks away providing plenty of water to scan over. The view south is into the harbour itself with the usual mooring buoys, small boats and a couple of marina type piers and then the East Pier on the other side of the harbour. Out from the end of the walls is the rest of Dublin Bay and the open ocean in the distance with the Howth (ho-thh, not how-thh) headland on the left, to the north, and Dalkey way to the right, south, invisible from the West Pier.
There used to be an ‘outfall’, rumoured to be raw sewage, approx 500 meters north of the pier along the second leg, which provided heaps of nutrients and subsequently birds to feed on the fish etc it attracted. That outlet was, unfortunately (?), sealed off some years ago and the bird numbers have declined somewhat. However, in winter it is still very possible to see large rafts of Common Scoters and numbers of Red-breasted Mergansers, at least two species of Grebe and Divers and a large selection of Gulls and Alcids. In spring migrants regularly turn up along the walls – Northern Wheatears in particular. Other passerines include Linnets, Meadow and Rock Pipits, Wagtails and, again in winter, regular Snow Buntings. In summer it’s a bit dead so far as I know. 
I birded here regularly back in the 70’s and, interestingly, a few years ago in one of my old notebooks I found a meticulously, anal list from the West Pier from about 1975. Coincidentally I ended up on the pier ON THE SAME DAY and MONTH this century! Comparing the two February lists the ONLY bird missing from the 21st century list was Long-tailed Duck. All the other species were exactly the same, even with similar numbers! I thought it was pretty amazing and actually a better outcome than I expected given the changes in the environment and bird numbers in the intervening 30+ years.


So, on to today’s expedition.
There was a light south-easterly breeze, the sky cloudy, but bright, the seas fairly calm, with a few small waves and scattered white-horses in the main bay towards the Irish Sea – a sharp contrast to the strong winds and wilder seas of Monday.
There were 7 scattered Great Crested Grebes in breeding plumage off the first leg and 1 Ruddy Turnstone feeding on the weed. A few distant Sandwich Terns provided a backdrop.
There wasn’t a lot else along the second leg apart from the (presumably) resident Meadow Pipit. Along the last leg it picked up a bit with a small flock of Dunlin and Sanderling huddled and sort of feeding on the weed at the bottom of the slope. 
 
Dunlin - showing the black belly of summer plumage - and Sanderling
 Sanderling - summer plumage (left) and 'winter' plumage.
I set up the scope to check the sea and was delighted with the first bird I saw, not that far away and one of my all time favourites - a single Northern Fulmar. I’ve always had a soft spot for Fulmars and can’t remember the last time I saw one? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one from the pier before – but I’m sure I must have. There are a number of them breeding on Howth, but I don’t think they come into the Bay very often.
Along with approx 10 Northern Gannets, 8 Common Guillemots, 2 Black-legged Kittiwakes, 4 Common Terns and a few more Sandwich Terns, there was a bit going on around the bay and out to sea. Once again I was hoping for a Manxie or two, but there was no sign, even distantly. Also through the scope a Harbour Porpoise Phocoena phocoena turned once – a mammal trip tick.
Add 5 more Ruddy Turnstones, a Eurasian Rock Pipit, 2 Pied Wagtails, a Hooded Crow, 4 Great Cormorants and 2 European Shags and that was the morning list – no seals today strangely enough, given the calm conditions.
Back home it was time on the phone with daughter no 1 and grandson no 1 then off to Aldi for supplies.

Covid-19

Australia: 6,896 and 97.

Ireland: 22,385 and 1,403. 28 new deaths but only 137 new cases, a new low.

UK: 206,715 and 30,615 an additional 539 and 5,614 new cases! Where’s the downward trend Boris?

USA: 1,277,606 and 76,052 – another 1,253 people die and an incredible 14,514 new cases – and 43 states are planning to relax their restrictions? WTF?

Trip Total: 101


Day 58 Friday 8.5.20

It was a mild, sunny, clear morning and I headed to Cabinteely Park again. I sat in the car for a couple of phone calls from home before walking into the park. Due to the beautiful weather the park was pretty busy and the birds, by this time, pretty quiet. I didn’t see much, not even some of the usual species, probably both because of the people and the birds may have been active earlier thanks to the mild morning. I did have a brief glimpse of a Eurasian Sparrowhawk to add to the site list so it wasn’t a complete waste.
Back home I took Mum for a wheelchair walk in Deerpark, it being the closest place to ‘walk’. It was very pleasant, but pretty boring as we trundled along, her enjoying the outing, me looking for a cliff…..joking.

Covid-19

Australia: 6,914 and 97. Only 18 new cases overnight and zero deaths.

Ireland: 22,541 and 1,429. 26 new deaths and 156 new cases, a little higher than yesterday but much lower than numbers last week. The Leaving Certificate exams have been completely cancelled – these are the equivalent of year 12 final exams in Australia. Assessments will be made by teachers and principles and the students can challenge results they consider unfair.

UK: 211,364 and 31,241. Another 626 deaths overnight and more than 4,600 new cases. The UK now has the second highest number of deaths, worldwide, only the USA have more.

USA: 1,305,789 and 77,788 deaths. An additional 13,000 cases overnight and 860 deaths. Anti-restriction protests continue across the country as, now, 45 states start to ‘reopen. In the meantime 68% of Americans think the country is being re-opened too soon. Good luck!


Trip total: 101

Day 59 Saturday 9.5.20

No birding. Stayed in to have breakfast with Mum (the home help doesn’t come on the weekends) and call home  We went for a wheelie walk again at Deerpark, then a short drive down to the coast and back.
Pretty slow, boring day.
At 20.30 I drove to Cabinteely Park with Owls and Badgers in mind. I sat in the woods until dark (dusk @ 21.00, but not dark until 21.30) and on till 22.30. I heard and saw absolutely nothing. It was a perfect night – still, warmish, calm, quiet – totally quiet. A Park Ranger car drove through around 22.00 but they didn’t see me in the trees and when I got back to the pedestrian entrance I had to climb the fence to get out as they’d locked the gate…..
And me at 65......just never growed up, I guess.

Covid-19

Worldwide: we reach 4 million cases and more than 275 thousand dead.

Australia: 6,929 and 97 dead. No new deaths for 4 days.

Ireland: 22,760 and 1,446 – 17 dead and 219 new cases. Plans to re-open businesses announced by government.

UK: 215,260 and 31,587, just under 4,000 new cases and 346 deaths overnight.

USA: 1,335,226 and 79,335. The Moron claims that other countries across the world are watching the USA’s performance because it is so good. Tell that to the (almost) 80 thousand dead.

Trip Total: 101

Day 60 Sunday 10.5.20

A complete contrast to yesterday – dull, cloudy and a cold north easterly blowing strong. I had to get out for a while, having done F-All yesterday so headed down to the West Pier in Dun Laoghaire (Done-leery) again.
The tide was low – coming in – but there were no waders on the small beach at the base or anywhere along the wall itself. I had 4 Eurasian Oystercatchers fly by – that was it for waders. The number of Northern Gannets was down – about 4 – 2 Razorbills showed well, along with about 10 Black-legged Kittiwakes, a handful of distant Common Guillemots, 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull, a Meadow Pipit, a Eurasian Rock Pipit and both Sandwich and Common Terns but in lower numbers than previous days.
That was about it for the day.
Late in the afternoon my sister came up to see us and cut my hair – something I badly needed. As a first time effort it was……..satisfactory.

Covid-19

Australia: 6,941 and 97 – another 24 hours with no deaths.

Ireland: 22,996 and 1,458 – only 12 deaths, but an additional 236 cases.

UK: 219,183 and 31,855  - only another 268 deaths but another 3,923 cases. Boris J, the PM, announced relaxing restrictions starting TOMORROW despite the still huge ‘new cases’ numbers. Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland all rejected his new ‘Stay Alert’ concept, insisting on staying with the much clearer ‘Stay at home’ message. I reckon Johnson is trying to win votes at the risk of more people’s lives.

USA: 1,364,176 and 80,685. Barrack Obama’s leaked telephone conversation described The Moron’s management of the coronavirus pandemic as ‘chaotic disaster’ – which is the most accurate description of the last three months across the Atlantic.

Trip Total: 101

Day 61 Monday 11.5.20

I didn’t go anywhere or do anything today. Just watched Netflix and hung out. A bit of an escape from all the shit.

Covid-19

Australia: 6,948 and 97.

Ireland: 23,135 and 1,467. A further 9 deaths and only 139 new cases.

UK: 223,060 and 32,065. 386 deaths but another 3,877 new cases – and the confusion continues with mixed messages from the government, relying on people’s ‘good sense’. Jesus….

USA: 1,376,650 and 81,173.

Trip Total: 101

Day 62 Tuesday 12.5.20

I headed down to Booterstown feeling a bit more positive than I had for some time. The main objective was just to get out and about. I didn’t expect the birding to be much chop, as they say, but it was really nice to just be going SOMEWHERE.
The marsh was flooded, actually draining, even though it was a dropping tide, low at 9.30. At first glance I thought ‘well this was a waste of f…..g time’, however, a flock of small waders circled and settled and eventually I counted approx 150 Dunlin, approx 6 Sanderling, 15 Common Redshanks and 3 Red Knot – though they remained fairly distant. Six Black-tailed Godwits flew out to the bay, and two Common Shelducks and 3 Common Moorhens completed the picture. Not super exciting but hey, you work with what you got! The Dunlin were feeding at their maximum depth, in fact, I’m pretty sure some were actually swimming – reminded me a bit of the phalaropes of yesteryear in Norway. I assume they were eager for the water level to drop to get access at the freshly revived mud.
I didn’t hang around to see, although it was warm in the sun, it was pretty cold in the shade and wind, and I headed along the coast to the West Pier. Once again, I didn’t expect much – low tide, calm sea, warm conditions – and I wasn’t surprised with the low bird numbers. But it was a nice walk and I seawatched from the end of the pier for a while, sheltered from the main wind and warm in the sun. Four Barn Swallows hawked along the pier but off the coast only a couple of very distant Northern Gannets, a handful of Common Guillemots and a couple of Common Terns. Walking back, one of the two Meadow Pipits I saw had food for young, so I assume there must be a nest somewhere on the back of the pier – probably where the rock is broken and grass and low brambles have found a niche.
And that was about it. Nothing in the bird line, but, once again, nice to be out doing something – and giving me some shit to write up for you to read…..

Covid-19

Australia: 6,964 and still only 97 deaths.

Ireland: 23,242 and 1,488, a further 21 deaths overnight but a positive low of only 107 new cases. Face coverings discussed at government level – most likely to come in for advice to wear in public transport and crowded areas like supermarkets where social distancing is difficult.

UK: 226,463 and 32,692 another 3,403 cases and 627 deaths overnight. The UK is probably happy now that Russia has overtaken them with 232,243 cases, but only 2,116 deaths so far. The UK is also now the fourth most contaminated place in the world – outdone only by the USA, Russia and Spain in number of cases, but second on the list for deaths.

USA: 1,395,026 and 82,555. The Chief Medical Officer appears to contradict the Moron advising its too early to open up the country to business. He’ll probably get fired in the next few days.

Trip Total: 101

Day 63 Wednesday 13.5.20

It started a nice sunny, sort of warm, morning, but then the clouds rolled in and the north wind became bitter. It rained as I came out on open ground beside the pond at Cabinteely Park and that kinda put an end to the morning’s birding. I did manage to add another species to my site list – an exciting House Sparrow. Not common at all and especially away from urban housing – about 100 meters away in fact. Oh well, such is life.

Covid-19

Australia: 6,980 and 98 – 1 new death.

Ireland: 2,3401 and 1,497. A new low of 10 deaths overnight but still another 159 new cases.

UK: 229,705 and 33,186 – yet another 3,242 cases overnight and 494 deaths. Not really getting much better.

USA: 1,419,048 and 84,243. 10 thousand new cases and over 800 new deaths.

Trip Total: 101

Day 64 Thursday 14.5.20

I didn’t do anything or go anywhere today. The carer needed the day off and so I stayed at home for breakfast and a phone call with home. My sister came up late morning and we sat and chatted for a while then took Herself out for a wheelie walk and my sister helped me look for a cliff, but without success.
I’m not sure I’m joking anymore…….

Covid-19

Australia: 6,989 and 98.

Ireland: 23,827 and 1,506. Positive outlook for the restrictions to be eased next Monday. It’ll only mean hardware stores and garden centres will re-open and people can meet in groups of 4, maintain social distancing, but it’s a start. 9 deaths and, a small spike of 426 new cases which, the Chief Medical Officer explained as, a number of testing cases that had occurred over the past few days, so not a dangerous lapse.

UK: 233,151 and 33,614 – another 3446 new cases and 428 deaths.

USA: 1,441,055 and 86,040. Yet another 10 thousand plus cases and 843 deaths while The Moron disagrees with his medical advice and claims ‘they want to keep the country closed down to affect my election chances’. What a dick.
It's amazing how desperate people in the States are, considering how rich and powerful the country is. I never cease to be amazed at the number of people living on the edge who continue to claim the USA is the greatest. Yes, it’s an amazing country – I’ve really enjoyed my trips there – but the (long term) mismanagement of the economy and lack of concern for people is incredible. The health system is hopeless, absolutely hopeless, and the mental health and general social support is a complete disaster.
What is wrong with the system?
Why is it like this?
Why are there so many homeless people?
Why is the pay so shit that people rely on tips to survive?
Why does there need to be food banks?
Why is there not a free universal health care?

Who created this system?

And most important...

Will anybody bother to fix it?
Trip Total: 101

Day 65 Friday 15.5.20

I was down at Booterstown Marsh by 8.30 – it was a cold, cloudy morning with a small north-westerly wind keeping the chill factor going.
Booterstown Marsh
The marsh was two thirds full with a couple of spots for waders to roost. Way up the far end – approx 300 meters – a large flock of Black-tailed Godwits (~300), Dunlin (~150) and 15 Red Knot preened and slept. There may have been Sanderling among them but due to distance and crowding I couldn’t be sure. About 10 Common Redshanks, 4 Common Moorhens and 2 Grey Heron completed that picture. I moved on – after losing one of the rubber leg tips off my tripod in the mud – and headed for the West Pier again.
I wasn’t expecting much – again – but just wanted to get out and be alone for a while.
It was a higher tide than last visit, but dropping, and the sea was calm. There really wasn’t much to get excited about, but just being out looking made me feel better. 
A couple of distant Northern Gannets, a few Common GuillemotsEurasian Rock Pipits, a (the very pale individual I saw a few weeks ago) Meadow Pipit and a pair of Pied Wagtails along the wall, all with food for young, suggested breeding was going on but otherwise it was a quiet walk out. 
At the end a smoke-length seawatch produced nothing much apart from a single Black Guillemot in summer plumage hammering across the water towards Howth.
On the way back approx 4 Barn Swallows and my first (of the trip) Sand Martins (at least 3) hawked along the wall.
That was it really, home again for another fun-filled day doing F-All.
Dam virus.

Covid-19

Worldwide: 4 and a half million cases and over 300 thousand deaths

Australia: 7,019 and 98.

Ireland: 23,956 and 1,518. 129 new cases and 12 deaths overnight. At issue tonight – one of the Dublin hospitals reported 244 cases yesterday, causing the spike in numbers, but it appears some of those cases date back to mid-March. So not entirely accurate – investigation continues. The government also advised the restrictions will ease a bit from Monday as described earlier. Also all incoming passengers will have to self isolate for 14 days. This has not been the case to date, but its not mandatory isolation in hotels, but self isolation at home.

UK: 236,711 and 33,998 – another 3,560 new cases and 384 deaths overnight.


USA: 1,470,067 and 87,707 - another 12,474 cases overnight.


Trip Total: 102
Day 66 Saturday 16.5.20

I made pancakes for breakfast then hung around while Herself had a shower. I spoke to Mr P for a while catching up on birding news then headed down to Booterstown and the West Pier again. Just to get out, not expecting anything in the way of birds.
As it turned out I wasn’t generally disappointed, but I did have my first-of-this-trip Common House Martin over Booterstown Marsh. The marsh was all mud once again and waders were very few. Two Red Knot, four Dunlin and two Sanderling huddled in a small sleepy group along with eight Common Redshanks at the far end of the marsh.
The West Pier was very busy and very quiet. Loads of people and few birds. The sea was calm and there was almost nothing on the water save for a few very distant Common Guillemots. I did see one Grey Seal briefly in the inner harbour but all in all it was an exercise to practice social distancing rather a birding expedition.

In the evening I spent some time on the phone with Mr H in Belfast - and saw a Common Swift fly over the house. He mentioned that a pair of Orcas had been in Strangford Lough just outside Belfast and I found the You Tube videos. Unreal how close they were to the coasts and to villages etc. Link below.

https://youtu.be/8nDzqizCkyY


Covid-19

Australia: 7,036 and still 98.

Ireland: 24,048 and 1,533 – ‘only’ 15 deaths overnight and for the first time in 2 months less than 100 new cases, 92. All good so far.

UK: 240,161 and 34,466. 3,450 new cases and 468 deaths.

USA: 1,497,097 (+12,812) and 89,127 (+620).

Trip Total: 103

Day 67 Sunday 17.5.20

Another stay-at-home day.

Covid-19

Australia: 7,045 and 98 ongoing.

Ireland: 24,112 and 1,543. Another 10 dead, but only 64 new cases, the lowest daily total since St Patrick’s Day (March 17th – 2 months ago).

UK: 243,303 and 34,636 – yet another 3,142 new cases but a relative low of 170 deaths.

USA: 1,515,302 and 90,332. As the states pass one and a half million cases and moves ever onward to one hundred thousand deaths, ex-president Barrack Obama offers public criticism of the current administration’s totally chaotic and irresponsible management of the crisis. At last someone is willing to say what we have all known all along.

Russia jumps to second in the list worldwide for total number of cases @ 281 thousand, but surprisingly only 2,600 dead? Headed only by arch rival the USA – and not even in the same category.

Trip Total: 103

Day 68 Monday 18.5.20

I had thought about going to Cabinteely Park but when I looked outside there was a strong gusty westerly wind blowing so I headed down to Booterstown and the West Pier yet again, thinking the coast MIGHT produce something. However when I got there the wind seemed to have almost disappeared so THAT didn’t eventuate.
The usual birds at Booterstown – Dunlin, Black-tailed Godwit, Red Knot (8, one in summer plumage), Common Redshanks etc.
On at West Pier ditto. Nothing to write home about, apart from a pair of European Goldfinches at the base of the pier which added to my current-this-trip-site list. I drove south past the East Pier to Sandycove, just a couple of kms further on, where Mediterranean Gulls can usually be found. But there wasn’t a gull to be seen on the calm waters – I didn’t even stop.

Today I made Mum get her own lunch and dinner. She was happy to try and, I think, got some confidence back – enough to take her down the front garden to the car to sit in the driver’s seat. She’s pretty keen to get back on the road. God help us all…..

This evening glancing out the window into the back garden – which I do – I saw a pair of Eurasian ………BULLFINCHES. Jesus, and here I thought they were rare in suburbia……
This stimulated me, with time on my hands as I have, to create yet another list. 
This time of birds seen in and from the garden. I know you’re all dying to see this list and I have included birds I have seen previous to this trip at 50 Dale Rd. I can’t remember all of them over 50 + years, for example, things like Bohemian Waxwings seem to ring a bell, but I’m not 100% sure. I also can’t recall seeing Greenfinch, but its quite possible in winter. However, here’s the list as I remember from the past, and as I have recorded on this trip.
Considering the small size of the space and the lack of any decent trees or any close association with woodland, wetland or farmland, it really is impressive, I think, and shows just how Irish birds interact in a suburban setting. The area is an older area and the gardens have been in place longer than I have, so there are aging apple trees, overgrown hedges and lots of (mostly introduced) flowering plants. I also don't spend a lot of time garden-gazing, just out the window from time to time and when I'm having a smoke....


Daily = every day or at least 5 out of 7.
Regular = once a week
Occasional = once a fortnight.
Irregular – less regular than regular or occasional….
F/O = flyover

Species seen in previous years, not in the garden this trip, yet.

50 Dale Rd
1
Grey Heron
Once F/O
2
Red Kite
Once F/O
3
Eurasian Sparrowhawk
Rarely seen, but prob regular
4
Eurasian Oystercatcher
Once - winter F/O
5
Black-headed Gull
Regular - winter
6
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Occasional F/O
7
European Herring Gull
Daily F/O
8
Common Wood Pigeon
Daily
9
Eurasian Collared Dove
Daily
10
Common Swift
Occasional
11
Eurasian Wren
Daily
12
Dunnock
Daily
13
European Robin
Daily
14
Common Blackbird
Daily
15
Song Thrush
Occasional
16
Long-tailed Tit
Twice - F/O
17
Coal Tit
Regular
18
Eurasian Blue Tit
Daily
19
Great Tit
Irregular
20
Common Chaffinch
Daily
21
Eurasian Siskin
Irregular - winter
22
European Goldfinch
Daily
23
Eurasian Bullfinch
Occasional
24
House Sparrow
Daily
25
Common Starling
Daily
26
Eurasian Magpie
Daily
27
Western Jackdaw
Daily
28
Rook
Regular - winter
29
Hooded Crow
Occasional F/O
30
Grey Squirrel
Regular
31
Red Fox
Probably daily


Covid-19

Australia:7,060 and 99.

Ireland: 24,200 and 1,547. Only 4 deaths and another 88 new cases. The trend looks good on the first day of eased restrictions.

UK: 246,406 and 34,796.

USA: 1,535,123 and 91,306.

Brazil jumped into the headlines today reaching 5th on the world list having achieved 245,000+ cases and the health system under direct threat of collapse – while the president scoffs, another Moron wannabe.

Trip Total: 103
Day 69 Tuesday 20.5.20

I went to Cabinteely Park once again for the escape, not the birding. The trees were now fully leaved and the undergrowth rampant. Birding in the woodland was, as a result, quite difficult given my shit hearing and lack of knowledge of bird calls.
Out in the open I did see the second Common Buzzard for the site which was a bonus, but other than that it wasn’t particularly productive.
Back home I took Mum for a drive to Dun Laoghaire to return a bath chair she had been gifted by the HSE and no longer required, then we went for an illegal drive to Dalkey and along the Vico Rd to Killiney. We didn’t see Matt Damon who was reported to be isolating in the area and loving it. We didn’t stop anywhere and it was nice to be out and about somewhere else for a change.
Back home again and I spent a couple of hours washing the car. It took a lot longer than normal due to a long mark along the passenger side which I thought was a scratch but turned out to be like a bumper or tyre mark. I don’t know how it got there (it definitely wasn’t me!) and don’t really want to know, but it came off with a lot of hard work.
Exciting stuff.

Covid-19

Australia: 7,068 and 100 – almost as many dead as I have in my trip total…..

Ireland: 24,251 and 1,561 – 14 dead and 51 new cases.

UK: 248,818 and 35,341.

USA: 1,564,625 and 93,127. 14 thousand plus new cases and 11 hundred plus dead.

Trip Total: 103


Day 70 Wednesday 20.5.20

Yesterday while washing the car a neighbour stopped to chat and, eventually, reappeared with detailed walking maps and print outs of tracks in the nearby Dublin Mountains so I decided to try somewhere new.
I headed up to a pub called the Blue Light and parked nearby, setting off up a narrow very steep stony track to eventually walk through mature pine forest and come out more or less on the 3 Rock Mountain. 

It’s not very high and surmounted by radio masts. The tracks were well worn and there were several other groups of people making use of the area and the brilliant warm weather.
Bird-wise it was probably a little late in the morning, but I did add Common Whitethroat and Eurasian Jay to my trip list and had Willow Warbler singing, Common Chiffchaff, Common Linnet and Northern Raven which I haven’t seen for some time. I also had a Eurasian Sparrowhawk and a Common Kestrel. I did also add two butterflies to my trip list - Green-viened White Pieris napi (~30) and Orange-tip Anthocharis cardamines (1).

Willow Warbler video:



A pretty poor photo of a Common Kestrel

My heart wasn’t really in it – feeling a bit depressed lately - so I probably didn’t take full advantage of the situation.

Covid-19

Worldwide – we reach 5 million cases and 327 thousand plus deaths

Australia: 7,079 and 100.

Ireland: 24,315 and 1,571 – 10 deaths and 64 new cases.

UK: 248,293 and 35,704 – 363 deaths and no new cases? Strange, no mention of that on the news.

USA: 1,582,556 and 94,327.

Trip Total: 105


Day 71 Thursday 21.5.20

Mr H had suggested that I try the docks area on the south side of the river Liffey. In Belfast a similar area provides excellent opportunities, mainly due to the downturn in the ship building facilities many years ago there are now vacant lots that have become overgrown and empty. However, in Dublin the dock area is much the same as it always has been – no shipbuilding but ancillary businesses that support shipping and transport so, in the main, there are few places to access. There is, though, a nature reserve flanking the edge of the bay on one side and the power station on the other that looked worthwhile and I headed there earlier than normal. 
Irishtown Nature Reserve was a bit more than the 5km allowance but not dramatically so. It turned out to be, initially, very busy with local joggers, dog walkers and assorted exercise freaks – probably more so because of the restrictions and the stunningly sunny, warm weather - but the numbers eased off a bit further out and I had some parts of the track to myself.

Irishtown Nature Reserve
It wasn’t super-exciting, but was at least a different aspect and being alongside the mud and sand of the exposed low tide bay, added a variety of species. 
The highlights were a singing Eurasian Blackcap and a singing Common Whitethroat, a female Reed Bunting – the first since early March at Kilcoole – and a handful of Common Linnets. The potential for vagrants at the right time of year – a month or so ago, probably – was, in my opinion, pretty good. I also had a few Barn Swallows and my second Common House Martin of the trip.
Yeah, its not stuff to ‘write home about’ but, Jesus wept, you take what you can get! Thanks Mr H.
I’ll probably go back again as it did appeal and potentially could throw up something surprising. It’d be interesting when the tide was either full or at least incoming – this morning it was out as far as the eye could see so waders were at a minimum.

After lunch we went for a drive – well Mum drove and I hung on the door handle and prepared to run…. But it was fine, she did well, despite over revving the engine and wearing out the clutch because she can’t hear the engine. It gave her some confidence and made her feel more positive, I think.
I was fine too.

Covid-19

Australia: 7,081 and 100.

Ireland: 24,391 and 1,583. 76 new cases and only 12 deaths overnight.

UK: 250,908 and 36,042. Quarter of a million cases and over 36 thousand deaths which completely destroys the government’s original statement that keeping the deaths below 20,000 would be doing a good job

USA: 1,608,420 and 95,762 another 15 thousand plus cases and 826 deaths overnight. Making America Great Again…….

Trip Total: 105

Day 72 Friday 22.5.20

Overnight, as the weather forecast, the wind picked up – huge. Gusting to maybe 40 knots (?) the southwesterly hammered the island.
I, of course, headed for the coast.
I dropped into Booterstown for a few minutes – there was bugger all there, no waders at all, so I didn’t hang around.
At the West Pier there were Northern Gannets diving right from the get go, a single Northern Fulmar among them. 
Northern Gannet
At the end I settled into a sheltered spot and found the bird I’ve been hoping for every visit, my favourite bird of all time, the inspiration for my first tattoo and one I have sort of related to for as long as I can remember – Manx Shearwater
Mostly distant with a couple of decent scope views, a small number - hard to estimate as they were in and out of the bay, but probably between 10 and 20 birds – hammered across the seas, shearing effortlessly in the huge winds. They were my first shearwater species way back in the late 60’s/early 70’s and I’ve always admired them for their strength, independence (that loner thing again), skills and social life. The fact that they migrate huge distances through unbelievable storms and sea conditions, back home to get together for nesting, then off again on another lonely trip across the ocean……. seems to me to be the epitome of freedom.  And, in fact, sort of reflects my life in recent years, I guess. But it’s more the whole freedom of the thing. When I see these birds shearing across the front of massive waves, apparently effortlessly, negotiating the winds and water, focused on a destination, making it work…….I’m just in awe. I can still remember those early years watching thousands passing Blannan on Cape Clear and just being stunned at the sight. Knowing there was no land between me and the Antarctic and these birds just coming out of the blue haze and moving past out into the ocean again – I’ll never forget those sights and memories.
Anyway, enough already. 
There were probably 80 Gannets gliding and diving sporadically across the bay, good numbers of Black-legged Kittiwakes and Common Guillemots among the distant Auk sp. I was hoping for a skua, but they’re pretty thin on the water at this time of year and didn’t eventuate.
On the way back I walked through one of the gaps in the wall to the back of the pier and inadvertently flushed what appeared to be a fledgling Pipit. It was immediately blown away from the pier and over the water and struggled to get back against the wind. In fact at one stage it actually dipped into the water before regaining some height – then vanished from view across the waves. Sadly I didn’t give much chances for its survival.

My sister and niece came up at lunchtime and my sister took Mum to an appointment at the audiologist for new hearing aids. The last few days have been hell as she couldn’t hear anything and I was exhausted shouting. Thankfully they came back much improved and the TV doesn’t need to be at maximum volume anymore.

Covid-19

Australia: 7,095 and 101.

Ireland: 24,506 and 1,592. An unfortunate increase of 115 new cases, only 11 deaths, but it’s the new cases we’re watching with close attention. First time in a week they have exceeded 100 x day.

UK: 254,195 and 36,393. An additional 3,287 new cases and 351 deaths.  I don’t think lifting the restrictions in the UK is working too well.

USA: 1,632,629 and 97,102. Yet another 11,700 cases and 748 deaths. Looking good America….

Brazil is now predicted to be the new epicentre with 314,769 cases and 20,267 deaths. Not looking great for South America as a whole. Chile has 61,857 but at least only 630 deaths and Argentina has 9.931 cases but only 419 deaths. However, I don’t think I’ll be going to Antarctica this year.

Trip Total: 106


Day 73 Saturday 23.5.20

Still very windy – and cloudy with showers – so went down the West Pier again. Much the same as yesterday but lower numbers. The seas were a bit calmer, not quite so wind driven. A few less Manxies but a couple of closer scope views which was nice. No Fulmar today, but a single Black Guillemot was additional to yesterday. Apart from that – and running out of phone credit at the end of the pier - it was pretty unremarkable.

Covid-19

Australia: 7,111 and 102

Ireland: 24,582 and 1,604. 12 dead and, happily, only 76 new cases.

UK: 257,154 and 36,675. 

USA: 1,656,213 and 98,222.
Trip Total: 106


Day 74 Sunday 24.5.20

I didn’t do anything or go anywhere today.

Covid-19

Australia:  7,114 and 102

Ireland: 24,639 and 1,608

UK: 259,559 and 36,793.  Outrageous behaviour by one of the PM’s advisors who drove from London to Durham to take his child to his grandparents during the ‘Stay at home’ advice by the government. Defended by the PM amid cries for his sacking – he should go.

USA: 1,676,505 and 99,031.
Trip Total: 106


Day 75 Monday 25.5.20

Another lovely morning – warm sunshine, small breeze. I headed down to Irishtown Nature Reserve again, a bit later than would have been best due to the warm weather, but I wanted to put myself in a good position for an expected phone call. It didn’t matter in the end because the phone call didn’t eventuate, but it was a good walk overall.
On the way, along the seafront at Sandymount, I was stopped by a police roadblock. The PPE masked female officer asked where I was going and, when I told her to the park at the end of the beach for a walk, then where had I come from? ‘Stillorgan’ seemed to satisfy her and she waved me on. The first time I have been stopped going anywhere, maybe a little more than the 5 km limit, but from ‘Stillorgan’ it’s not worth arguing about.
Through the reserve I added a couple of basic birds to my site list and a single European Greenfinch – a bird I hadn’t seen for some time.
I decided to walk out the South Wall, a long stone pier, similar to, but less popular than, the West Pier on the other side of the bay. It was a long walk - seemed longer than the West Pier but probably much the same. It reminded me a bit of the pier I walked out in Vancouver last year – just seemed to go on and on with not a lot to show for the effort.
There were a few Black-headed Gulls and about 30 Black-legged Kittiwakes on the river side and further on a moored platform seemed to be a breeding site for Common Terns. I also had 17 Ruddy Turnstones scattered long the rocks as it was again low tide. Towards the end about 20 Black Guillemots sat close in, apparently flying in and out of the rock wall, but I couldn’t see any nest holes so was unsure what exactly they were up to. At the end of the pier a small lighthouse seemed to have a couple breeding in its upper windows – all providing excellent views. 
Black Guillemot
I headed back, by now it was quite warm and the birds were quiet. I saw a number of blue butterflies flitting around the flowering weeds and eventually got photos. I thought they were Holly Blues but, this one at least, turned into a Common Blue Polyommatus Icarus. A couple of Green-veined Whites Pieris napi completed the insect scene.
Common Blue Polyommatus Icarus

Back at the car after the 9 km walk, I was a bit knackered and just got a coffee before heading home.

Covid-19

Worldwide: we reach 5 and a half million cases.

Australia: 7,118 and 102.

Ireland: 24,698 and 1,608. For the first time since 11th March, no new deaths overnight – and only 59 new cases. Big discussion around reducing the social distancing from 2 meters to 1 meter or, maybe, 1.5 meters? Jesus Christ….

UK: 261,184 and 36,914 – another 16 hundred cases overnight and 121 deaths.

USA: 1,694,702 and 99,466.

Trip Total: 106


Day 76 Tuesday 26.5.20

I waited in till the new carer arrived at 8. Caroline seems a better fit for Mum.
So, it was after 9 before I headed out. I wanted a walk, birding not a priority so just headed fro Cabinteely Park picking up a coffee on the way. I sauntered around seeing pretty much nothing for an hour or so, taking a couple of phone calls, then headed home again. 
I did see a Mistle Thrush and two Dabchicks were on the pond. Interestingly one hung around near where I had seen them taking building material a couple of weeks ago, while the other swam into the reeds on the opposite side of the lake and didn’t come out. I wondered if the first nest had been predated and they had built a second nest on the opposite bank? They should have had chicks by now given the time since building was observed.
I did see a single Green-veined White Pieris napi which perched up long enough showing off its green veins.

Green-veined White Pieris napi
My sister asked me to pick up two sewing machines she had left in for repair in Ballybrack, and, after I had completed that mission, I drove up into the low hills and checked out the Ballycorus area. The neighbour and Mr H had provided me with some details and I located an interesting looking woodland and the track to the Lead Mines tower (obsolete, but a landmark) where I intend going in the next few days – but not at midday, as now.

Covid-19

Australia: 7,133 and 102. 

Ireland: 24,735 and 1,615. Only 37 new cases today.

UK: 265,227 and 37,048. Yet ANOTHER 4,043 cases, but reporting only on the 134 deaths. If you’re still getting over 4 thousands new cases a day, you need to be reviewing what the f you’re doing!!
The UK now has the second highest number of dead, 37,048, but semi-official sources say its actually 47,000 and the arguments continue re the PM’s wanker advisor who denies doing anything wrong.

USA: 1,714,371 and 100,103. The first country to reach 100 thousand deaths - almost 3 times the next highest.
Trip Total: 106


Day 77 Wednesday 27.5.20

I had been contemplating driving down to Kilcoole, Newcastle & my sister’s place south of Wicklow town. It would be way outside where I was supposed to go during the crisis, but she’d travelled up a few times with minimal or non-existent hassle. 
I set off around 7.30 feeling quite…..nervous? Illegal? Criminal? Hard to explain how I felt. I imagine there are a lot of people worldwide under similar restrictions feeling the same. I knew I would probably have to lie if the police stopped me – and I’m not a good liar. Too transparent. Too honest? Too whatever….my problem.
I got to the turnoff from the M50 without seeing anyone and felt a bit better on the back road down to Kilcoole, however, when I got there, to my surprise, the car park was still closed. I had been under the impression it would have 1. remained open due to the railway station needed by commuters and 2.  I thought they had re-opened the car parks anyway.
Obviously not on both counts, so I turned and drove back to the main road.
I considered my options. 
Turn left and try for Newcastle? And ultimately Wicklow? Or turn right and head back towards home.
I chickened out and turned right.
I stopped off at the Lead Mines walk above Ballycorus beside Barnaslingan Forest recreation area.
I walked up the 500 meters or so to the Lead Mines Tower, back down the road to the ‘forest’, through the forest and back to the car. All in all it was a pretty wasted journey. The birds were very quiet and there were a fair number of people, dogs, children and horses along the tracks.
I did see a female Eurasian Stonechat, a small quantity of common stuff, a pair of Willow Warblers with FY and a singing Eurasian Blackcap.
Lead Mines tower
Foxglove Digitalis purpurea

There may be some limited potential for Long-eared Owl in the mature pines of the forest, but it’s a pretty small patch. I might be tempted to give it a go some evening, in lieu of anywhere else, if I can drum up some enthusiasm.

Covid-19

Australia: 7,139 and 103

Ireland: 24,803 and 1,631 – 68 new cases and 16 deaths.

UK: 267,240 and 37,460.

USA: 1,736,744 (+11,469) and 101,470 (+898)


Trip Total: 106


Day 78 Thursday 28.5.20

Just to get out and about I went to Cabinteely Park again. Just the usual stuff in smaller numbers as I wasn’t really concentrating on birding too hard. But, as I took a very welcome call while sitting on a log, I did, finally, see a bird I have looked for at this site – Eurasian Jay. A pair very quietly moving through the canopy, discreet and silent – so unlike their usual behaviour outside of the breeding season. Nice to see this very woodland bird so close to suburbia, they were, in fact, at the edge of the wood overlooked by a housing estate. They were listed on the Ebird list, but it’s taken me this long to actually find them. On the pond just a single Dabchick sitting sentinel and the Northern Mallard were down to two ducklings. As they were so well fledged I’m thinking Sparrowhawk.

I know it’s all so mundane. I thank you for continuing to read this drivel all these weeks, even months, and sticking with me. It’s hard to make nothing into something, but even the small things make the day (almost) worthwhile. Now, having booked my flight back to Brisbane, I am feeling a bit more positive. I fly on the 19th June, still three weeks away, and anticipate spending 14 days in mandatory isolation in a hotel at government expense when I arrive, so it’ll be the 4th July before I am ‘free’ again and actually get ‘home’. 
It’s given me something to look forward to, even if it means incarceration for a fortnight. I recognise that, no matter when I fly, that’ll happen and while I am not looking forward to that part of the experience, I am looking forward to being free in July – and seeing the kids and grandkids and friends and home, again. 
If things were going to be different here, i.e. ease up on travel restrictions specifically, I wouldn’t be so ‘enthusiastic’ BUT nothing much is going to change in Ireland in the immediate future. It’ll be August before it will be possible to travel beyond 20kms. At the moment it’s a maximum of 5 ks, I think it goes to 20 on either 8th June or three weeks later so going to Wexford or Kerry or the west coast is just not possible for several months yet and even then, it’ll depend on no resurgence of the virus. Ireland has been hit very hard – certainly hundreds of times harder than Australia – and the health officials are still very wary, and rightly so, of a second spike - or worse. If I could get away birding with Mr H for a week or so or spend a day or two in Wexford, I would consider staying here longer and supporting Mum, but as it is as I have described and as she is getting stronger and more confident every day, I know she doesn’t need me as much anymore – and I need to get home. 

Late in the morning – after Herself had her hair done via a home visit from the hairdresser – we headed out to my Auntie Thelma’s house to deliver a birthday present. We sat in the car and talked to her for 15 or 20 minutes, visited the bottle bank to deposit our recyclable glass (it can’t go in the recycling bin here, you have to drop it off) then went down to a local shopping area to drop off the cracked mirrored door for the bathroom cabinet.
That completed we headed home, anticipating lunch. About 5 minutes away from our destination the car broke down. The gear lever was completely loose and wouldn’t connect with anything. I assumed the clutch had gone. So, there I am stuck at a set of traffic lights in the outside lane with my 94 year old mother in the passenger seat and going nowhere fast.
I managed to roll the car backwards and steer it into the side of the road, blocking the bicycle lane, then we rang the 24 hour emergency tow that Mum has on her insurance policy. 25 minutes later a small tubby dude showed up with a massive 4WD tow truck thing and we attached the car, got Mum into the passenger seat – almost needed a ladder – and he took us and the car home. He told me he wasn’t supposed to carry passengers because of the Covid thing, but he’d take us because of her age. I tipped him 10 euro.
Mum’s mechanic will collect the car tomorrow – apparently it’s the gear linkage cable that’s broken so hopefully it won’t be a big job.
The most excitement we’ve had in 3 months. The things I end up doing with my aged mother…..

Covid-19

Australia: 7,150 and 103

Ireland: 24,841 (+38) and 1,639 (+8)

UK: 269,127 (+1,887) and 37,837 (+377)

USA: 1,756,673 (+10,870) and 102,736 (+629)

Trip Total: 106


Day 79 Friday 29.5.20

I didn’t go anywhere or do anything today. With the car broken I had no transport and didn’t feel like walking up to Deerpark – which was my only option.
The day was a bit slow, but the car went away then came back, fixed, at 16.30, which was great. My sister came up from Wicklow and took Herself to have her ears vacuumed. I went to Aldi late in the day and did the shopping and that was about it.

Covid-19

Australia: 7,173 (+23) and 103 (0)

Ireland: 24,876 (+35) and 1,645 (+6)

UK: 271,222 (+ 2,095) and 38,161 (+324)

USA: 1,780,824 (+12,363) and 103,953 (+623)


Trip Total: 106


Day 80 Saturday 30.5.20

I went to Cabinteely Park again, just for something to do, get out of the house and be in a good position for a hoped for phone call – the former were fine, the latter didn’t happen.
However, it was just an average morning’s birding, the highlights being a Grey Wagtail – only my second site record, and 4 Common Swifts passing overhead. I sat at a picnic table which, I guess, could be called Colin’s Raptor Lookout, on a slight hill with a good overview, but saw no raptors. I was hoping for a Barn Swallow, but only had the Swifts. Jesus freaking Christ, things are pretty desperate when one is hoping for a Swallow….
A single Blue flew past which I called as a Common Blue Polyommatus Icarus and at one point a small mouse sp ran across the track in front of me. It was almost too exciting for words…..

Covid-19

Worldwide: 6 million cases and over 368 thousand deaths.

Australia: 7,185 (+12) and 103 (0)

Ireland: 24,929 (+53) and 1,651 (+6)

UK: 272,826 (+1,604) and 38,376 (+215)

USA: 1,805,689 (+12,159) and 105,043 (+501)


Trip Total: 106

Day 81 Sunday 31.5.20

The last day of Spring and the weather would lead you to believe we were in deep Summer.
I didn’t go anywhere or do anything today, bird-wise.
I took Herself for a wheelie walk along the seafront at Sandymount, but the tide was out so I was out of luck on that score……
Spent some time on the phone with Mr P catching up with the birding scene on both sides of the world.

Covid-19

Australia: 7,195 (+10) and 103 (+0)

Ireland: 24,990 (+61) and 1,652 (+1)

UK: 274,762  (+1,936) and 38,489 (+113)

USA: 1,826,131 (+9,311) and 105,877 (+320)


Trip Total: 106





No comments:

Post a Comment