Friday 3 July 2020

Weekends That Were - July 2020

3.7.20


LAST NIGHT IN LOCKDOWN

At last.
My 4 months lockdown is ending.
I will be released back into the world at 10.30 tomorrow morning.
I didn't think it would feel so good - but I'm really quite excited. It's been a long time. 3 months basically locked down in Dublin and now 14 days isolation in the same room. It hasn't been pleasant. I have had good days  - and a lot of bad days, both here and in Dublin. I have been challenged to stay sane and worried about my mental health. I have struggled to deal with restrictions and a lack of social interaction. I have tried to make the most of it, but failed at times. I have had too much time to think and allow my imagination to run wild imagining the worst outcomes and reading more into occurrences than was probably wise. 
However, I feel that once again it has taught me that LIFE IS TOO SHORT.
You need to grab what makes you happy and hang onto it because you never know when the situation will change, without warning, without notice, unexpectedly. Life is too precious to waste time, you need to go for it, take a risk, grab what you can, enjoy every minute, cause you never know what's round the corner. Who could have imagined the world we have today? Six months ago no one would have confidently predicted the situation that has developed. I never imagined having to cancel an 8 day holiday with my lover, two trips to parts of Europe, being restricted to my Mum's place for almost 3 months, and spending two weeks in a hotel room in Brisbane.... No one could have seen it coming. 
And that's not to mention the half a million people now dead worldwide and the almost 10 million cases - and rising - that the worlds' health services are struggling to deal with. 
And its not over yet.
So, tomorrow, I return to a new world, although here in Queensland the restrictions were further lifted today, allowing bars, cafes, clubs and the like to re-open. I can travel anywhere in Queensland - and maybe I will - I can go where I want, when I want, how I want. Something I haven't been able to do since March.
But what a world? Will international travel come back in the next 12 months? Some experts reckon it could be two to three years before we can fly freely. I'm banking on next year. I'm hoping Mr H and I can plan our trip to Majorca and Turkey in the northern hemisphere spring and Antarctica in October. I haven't heard if my planned trip to Antarctica and Chile this October has been cancelled, but assume it will be as I doubt I'll be allowed to fly overseas before Christmas.
Obviously one doesn't want to go to a lot of places anyway - places certainly like the States, the UK, South America or, in fact, almost anywhere, for the foreseeable future.
What the future holds for me or for any of us cannot be foreseen - we can make the best plans, have the highest hopes, dream the happiest dreams - but there are no guarantees, no solid promises, no definites. Nothing is 100% sure.
One can only do what one can and enjoy the moment and hope, only hope, for the future.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT!!
I do think most countries will get it under control and life will return to more or less normal by early next year. 
I am optimistic. 
Life must go on. 
Covid-19 will be with us for ever - much like the flu - with seasonal outbreaks that will require containment - but will be dealt with a lot more efficiently than has been the case this year as governments struggled with an unknown, developing, situation. Processes will be put in place, actions taken with speed and consistency, results achieved quicker.
We have to be hopeful. We can't let this pandemic rule our lives. Travel, business and social life has to go on. People will still get this disease and they will still die, but we have to carry on, take precautions where necessary, but just get down and do it.
So, tonight, I relax and look forward to FREEDOM - something I never envisioned losing and never thought I'd welcome so much. 
I leave you (for the moment) with a couple of videos....

Lockdown by day:


Lockdown by night:


Lockdown meals:



5.7.20

Minnippi

 

I picked up Mr D and we met Mr P in the car park at 6.30. It was probably a little early, dawn had just broken but we carried on regardless.

The lake was a bit quiet, just some Wandering Whistle Ducks in the back left corner (approx 20 in total during the morning) and Hardheads, Pacific Black Ducks and a controversial Great/Intermediate Egret. We always seem to have problems agreeing on the specific species – Mr P and I plumped for Great and Mr D agreed eventually. The Black Swans – first breeding record on the pond – were followed around by their 5 well developed cygnets.

The M1 track was fairly quiet – a few Scarlet Honeyeaters, 1 Grey Fantail, 1 Rufous Whistler and a singing Fan-tailed Cuckoo – unusual for this time of year, but the Boys said it had been a quiet winter, so far, for returning visitors.

The bird of the morning was probably the single male Chestnut Teal back on the lake – been a while since I recorded one on site. 4 Magpie Geesewith a well developed immature suggested breeding in the area, but not, it seemed, at Minnippi.

We sat at the raptor lookout for a while with no outcomes, but a pair of Tawny Frogmouths in their usual spot finished off the morning – and my re-acquaintance with local birds – nicely.

Mr P couldn’t stay so Mr D and I had our usual breakfast at ex-Belesis, now known as 9 Bar & Kitchen.


11.7.20

Sandy Camp

 

Mr D picked me up and we were on site around 6.45. A grey, cloudy, drizzly start to the morning but it brightened up, as promised.

The area was pretty birdy – as per normal – and we didn’t see anything of great note. A couple of over-wintering Forest Kingfishers perched up well and a single Australian Reed Warbler were good to see. A Striated Heron on the back pond showed well, but other than those it was pretty much a typical winter’s day at Sandy Camp with a total of at least 57 species.

A long breakfast again at 9 Bar and kitchen in Coorparoo.


16.7.20


Oxley


On site at 7.15. A cool, bright, clear Queensland morning, slight breeze from the northwest.

It was pretty much a normal winter’s morning birding at Oxley, nothing super special. A Fan-tailed Cuckoo on the walk back, a Black-shouldered Kite around the lake and a drifting Black Kite were probably the birds of the morning.

I met up with the guy I’ve met before – Mike, I think – and we chatted about Lady Elliot Island, sharks and so forth for about 20 minutes.


17.7.20


Kayaking again - Oxley Creek



For the first time in ages I set out on a kayak trip. I’d being wanting to get back on the water since kayaking in Vancouver last year and finally reached that point.

The creek was on full tide and, of course, flat calm – I can’t imagine Oxley Creek ever being anything else but flat.

It had taken me some time to get organised all over again and it was 8.30 before I left the pontoon. Being the first time in almost a year, and about 3 years since I had had my boat in the water, I wasn’t intending any great adventure. I paddled up the creek for approx 3 kms over a 40 minute period. It’s hard to be sure of distance, I used Google maps to estimate the length of the trip, but its only approx. At that 3 km point the creek splits and Oxley Creek itself heads off to the left, while the main creek heads right. I haven’t been any further than this to date, but plan to venture further in the future once I have become stronger. It took me 35 minutes to get back to the pontoon, where I disembarked without falling in and carried the kayak back to the Red Shed to wash it down before putting it back on the car and heading home.

Bird-wise – at least 4 Striated Herons, multiple Brown Honeyeaters, several Bar-shouldered Doves, Little Pied Cormorant, Darter and Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, Rainbow Lorikeets and other common species - nothing overly exciting.



18.7.20


North Stradbroke Island


It looked good with 20 knot southerlies. But it was very, very quiet. To the point where one would say – was it worth it? The Humpbacks were good, breaching and fin slapping, putting on a show for the dozens of punters who seemed to have invaded the island, but the birds were, quite frankly, shit.

Approx 40 Australian Gannets and about 10 Fluttering/Hutton’s Shearwaters was the total passage – apart that is, of course, the Greater Crested Terns which are always there. Most of the Gannets were immatures – probably at least 90% - and the shearwaters were incredibly hard to see, hence the lack of species specific identification.

Two Eastern Ospreys, which had been calling behind us all morning, tumbled around together above the headland and a Striated Heron back at Dunwich were probably the most interesting things seen. Two Bush Stone Curlews were seen from the bus; one standing at the door of a shop at Pt Lookout – social distancing obviously, har har har – and one sitting in attendance at a grave in the cemetery.

We went for breakfast at 10 to find the large cafĂ© place closed down completely so had no choice but to breakfast at a smaller place on the corner. We had to queue for 20 minutes before getting a table and they had no skim milk – oh we have soy, coconut, almond and lactose-free, but we don’t do skim (who the F drinks lactose-free milk? What’s the point?) Anyway– breakfast was nice and we discussed the possibility of a trip north while waiting to get the midday bus.


                                                                       23.7.20


                                    Kayaking - Oxley Creek


I decided to go again to Oxley Creek despite the dull, grey day that it was. The tide was scheduled to be full at 12.30 and I checked the water level at 11 before launching into an upriver sluggish current. 

The trip went without incident. I explored the side branch of Oxley Creek - but it only went about 500 meters before being blocked by logs and debris.

Further upriver I came across a second kayak launch pontoon and turned around about 200 meters past that at the 60 minute point. I was conscious of the fact that paddling back against the incoming tide would be more strenuous than with it. It was - a bit harder, but not overly difficult, however, by the time I got back to the Oxley Common pontoon I'd had enough, physically.

Mostly the same birds along the way - Striated Herons being probably the most interesting, but nothing of great excitement. Good exercise though.....




29.7.20


Minnippi


Went more for the walk than the birding specifically. It was a pretty average winter’s morning at Minnippi, nothing unusual or in great numbers. The Black Swan cygnets were still numbering 5 and there were a few White-throated Honeyeaters on the M1 track and up the avenue. A Royal Spoonbill roosting on the middle island was an addition from my last visit and the Tawny Frogmouths basked in the sun in their usual tree.

Other than that there wasn’t much to write home about.












No comments:

Post a Comment