Tuesday 1 June 2021

Weekends That Were - June 2021

27.6.21

Anstead

Mr P picked me up at 7 and we were on site 30 minutes later. Cold (8*c), calm morning and it took the birds some time to warm up. Nothing of any significance during the two hour wander along the usual tracks.

No butterflies. Only coffee at Maccas on the way home due to family commitments for Mr P.

25.6.21

Oxley

Ho Hum, on site at 8.45 after a disturbed night and late waking. A flat, dull, damp, grey morning – much like my current mood.

The morning turned out OK, again, nothing to write home about, but a perched up Collared Sparrowhawk early on the track provided opportunity to take photos which weren’t worth keeping and a Brown Falcon low overhead at the ponds was momentarily exciting. The White-necked Heron was still in the flooded field, but apart from those thrilling moments it was a slow two and quarter hours.

I did tape a singing Scarlet Honeyeater to add to my database and with a bit of Audacity’s Noise Reduction effect it was a reasonable result – along with the other 6 (at least) background species.

 

XC658923


Only 2 Black Jezebels to set the heart racing – not.

23.6.21

Sandy Camp

On site at 8.00, more for something to do than with any great expectations. The main pond was covered in a Bubble-type weed and only Dusky Moorhens, Eurasian Coots and Comb-crested Jacanas were willing to get into it. Brown Honeyeaters completely dominated the passerine scene – must have had at least 60 (conservatively). 

One of which I taped (yeah, yeah, I know it’s only a Brown Honeyeater, but I’ve got to start somewhere….)


XC658582

 

Other ‘highlights’ – 1 Forest Kingfisher, 2 Eastern Ospreys on the pole nest and at least 15 White-breasted Woodswallows on the wires. I did end up with 43 species for the morning, a couple above my average for the season, but I wasn’t really trying.

As I stood on the bank of the ‘Bittern Pond’ – a chunky duck flew in – a Muscovy Duck. Now we are all used to dumped ducks, but to see one in flight was a real surprise – normally they don’t seem to fly, presumably because their wings are clipped. It landed out of sight, but when I walked out onto the track under the power lines – there it was feeding beside a couple of Peaceful Doves. I sort of stalked it, took a couple of photos and moved towards it, expecting it to fly away, but it waddled over and allowed me to scratch its neck. I moved on and it followed me for a while before giving up. 

I felt sorry for it – it was almost as lost as I was.


Muscovy Duck (escaped and lonely)

I checked Fowler from the car. The Catholic school across the road have managed to bitumen the left hand side access area for car parking - although I thought it was a public space, however... The water level was high and nothing worth noting.

Lindum - again from the car - and only a decent handful of White-headed Stilts in evidence from the road - I didn't bother going in.

22.6.21

Lamington NP - O'Reilly's

I took Linc (my 7-almost-8 year old grandson) on his first birding trip.

On site at 9.30, having stopped to inspect a dead European Hare on the road. We bought some seed and waited for 15 minutes or so to feed the Rosellas, but none arrived so we moved on, walking into the Tree-top Walk. Along the way we had Yellow-throated Scrubwrens and Eastern Yellow Robins almost landing on his hands. After the exertion of the suspended walk – and the climb up the ladders to the highest point – we walked out along the Border Walk for a short distance. He was my ears and eyes and we saw loads more Scrubwrens and Robins, a female Paradise Riflebird and several very close Southern Logrunners. At one point two Red-necked Wallabys crossed the track at a quick clip. We heard but didn’t see Green Catbird, but otherwise the track was fairly quiet.

Back at the cafĂ© we indulged in an ice cream, for him, coffee for me. Then walked down the ‘Guests only’ track towards the villas where we had been advised Albert’s Lyrebirds had been seen – we didn’t see any.

A picnic for lunch in the grassy area followed with, again, Yellow Robins and Grey Shrike Thrushes in attendance. Then it was back for another attempt to feed the parrots. This time we managed a host of Crimson Rosellas and two female King Parrots – both of which fed from his hand, much to his delight.

He fell asleep on the way home, but I think he enjoyed the day and seemed converted to birding – God help him….

21.6.21

Minnippi

Having hardly been outside the door for two days I was on site at 7.45.

Average morning with nothing super exciting. 

Updating previous observations:

The Masked Lapwing pair nesting near the car park now had three newly hatched chicks running around. 

Two adult Black Swans, but no sign of the young cygnet.

Three Magpie Geese appear to have lost another gosling – only 2 well advanced youngsters in evidence.

No sign of the Tawny Frogmouths in any of the usual trees.

Morning list of 51 was above (my) average for the time of year, but with no Fairy-wrens, Shrike Thrushes or Cormorants there were several ‘common’ holes in the total.

Only 1 Evening Brown on the butterfly front.

17.6.21

Oxley

On site at 7.45. A bright, slightly blustery morning @ 19*c, but felt warmer.

The track was pretty quiet bird-wise with nothing to write home about. The flooded field, accessed by climbing the gate, still had the White-faced Heron prowling the edge. At the main pond an Eastern Osprey flew in and perched up - only my 4th site record.

Overall 54 species wasn’t too bad, but numbers, in general were low, possibly because of the increasing north westerly. Butterflies – the usual Black Jezebel (4) and Monarch (3).


Sorry its not more exciting, I'm just de-motivated at present.

15.6.21

JC Trotter Reserve

I was on site at 8.00 at the Most Frustrating Birding Location in the world.

As usual, despite the apparent varied and interesting habitat, there was fuck-all. A total of 28 species, most dominant – Yellow-faced Honeyeater, followed by Noisy Friarbird. Apart from that - singles of most other species. The water level in the dam was very high, due no doubt to the wet summer we have had. Hence access to the edge was restricted and difficult in most places as the growth that had sprung up, when the level was low, encroached right to the water’s edge. A pair of adult White-breasted Sea Eagles were probably bird of the day – but that’s not saying much.

One Monarch the only butterfly. 

By 9 the sky clouded over big time and heavy rain clouds moved in from the north bringing thunder and lightning. I made it back to the car before the rain hit. Not much of a morning but it burned up a couple of hours.

13.6.21

Minnippi

On site at 7. Cold, still, clear morning that warmed up through our two and a half hour visit.

Nothing super-special, but a list of 56 species was good for the morning.

One Scarlet Jezebel the only butterfly recorded.

I taped an Eastern Yellow Robin calling that call that they do, hidden from sight, that drives us all mad…

 

  XC656220

Mr P had family commitments so no breakfast that morning.


10.6.21

Minnippi

On site at 9.30 after a long lie-in. More a matter of wasting a couple of hours rather than a serious birding walk. However, a morning list of 50 species was OK. Weather: started out pretty cool, but by the time I was onsite it was 14*c, sunny with a small breeze.

Highlights: Leaden Flycatcher on Airfield Track. A Black Kite low over Lookout point. 14 Wandering Whistle Ducks on the water and only 3 goslings, along with 3 adult, Magpie Geese. Presumably one of the (very advanced) young had been hammered.

I did tape a confiding Welcome Swallow which landed on a sign above me at the boardwalk on the lake. I had to apply Noise Reduction via Audacity to remove the constant traffic background noise, but was pretty happy with the outcome.


XC655598

Black Jezebels and 1 Monarch made up the butterflies.

8.6.21

Oxley

On site at 7, a heavy mist overlying the fields. 

The first 200 meters of the track were quite birdy but then it died off for most of the rest of the way.

White-necked Heron at the ‘hidden’ flooded field was also visible from the car park. An Australian Hobby appeared while I was watching the pond from the ‘new’ track and flew directly towards me. It passed overhead no more than 20 ft above and looked directly down at me as if assessing me as possible prey.

Other than that it was a goodish morning with 52 species recorded.

A single Black Jezebel was the only butterfly seen.

7.6.21

Anstead & Moggill Pocket Swamp

Dragged my sorry ass out of my flannelette-sheeted bed at 6, into a Queensland-cold morning (9*c), motivating myself by assuring myself ‘the birds won’t watch themselves’.

Left home at dawn, 6.30, and on site just after 7.

The first part of the track was quite active and, overall, the morning’s list of 42 species was above average (as per my records) for the season. 



Nothing super-spectacular or unexpected. The usual couple of White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes and 5 or 6 fly-past, above the canopy, Little Lorikeets. A Rose Robin was a nice addition, but expected. Place was dripping in Noisy Friarbirds, calling and chasing/feeding on the scattered trees that were in flower. Scarlet Honeyeaters and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters denoted the season.

I did tape a male Rufous Whistler:


XC654955


And a new mammal for my site list – a single Swamp Wallaby moved off the track near the river outlook.


Back at the car by 9.30 and I decided to head out to Moggill Pocket Swamp. I hadn’t been there for a few years as it had dried up completely but, now, following a wetter summer, I figured there’d be some water.

There was, but it was quite overgrown in patches. However, 4 Australian Grebes fed on one open area and the usual Purple Swamphens and Dusky Moorhens were both shepherding juveniles around. Nothing else of consequence – a bare 20 species in the 30 minutes I was there.

No butterflies at either location.

4.6.21

Minnippi

On site at 7.30. Cool, damp (following overnight rain), clear. Pretty quiet overall. I thought I saw a Buttonquail species as I returned back down the M1 track, but it might have been more a hopeful imagination, than actual fact. It was a brief sighting of a bird on the track that disappeared behind vegetation and there was no sign of anything on follow up.

Other than that it was pretty unexciting with an average for the season (per my records) of 47 species. One Tawny Frogmouth back in a tree in the usual location near the bridge and the Masked Lapwing was still sitting on the nest in the field beside the carpark.

The only butterflies were Black Jezebels – 7 in total at various locations around the usual walk.

3.6.21

Nathan Rd Wetlands

Having had a coffee date on the northside I decided, afterwards, I would check out Nathan Rd Wetlands.

I had previously visited the site a few times, the last in December 2015, and having heard nothing much about it since, wondered if it was still accessible and/or worthwhile.

I got there in drizzling rain around 11.30 and walked in off Nathan Rd itself, initially. Several Grey Kangaroos watched me suspiciously, then bounded off out of sight. Very overgrown and boggy, probably due to recent rain, I remembered a clay pan which had been very wader-friendly, but it appeared to have succumbed to the encroaching vegetation.

Moving further left through the low scrappy trees I ran into more flooding and could only see open water in the far distance.

I retreated to the car and drove back up Nathan Rd, turned right on Morris Rd and then right again into a cul-de-sac that I remembered had had a shallow pond/clay pan at the end. The pond was still there, albeit very flooded and not very active. A few Purple Swamphens, Royal Spoonbills, Intermediate Egret, Pacific Black Duck and 3 Grey Teal and that was about it.

It still has potential – once it dries out a bit – but until then won’t be offering much to itinerant waders until next season.

 2.6.21

Oxley

On site at 7.15 – a cool, clear, still morning, cloudy and dull, second day of winter.

The track was pretty quiet – overall the site was not very active but I did record 51 species for the morning which was a respectable total considering.

I met the guy who found the Shining Flycatcher a couple of weeks ago – he was looking for it again, unsuccessfully. We didn’t walk together, but did bump into each other, as you do on a one-way track. 

On his advice I walked a track I hadn’t tried before. It involved climbing a gate half way along ‘Wagtail Way’ – the track to the ponds. The result was good and I intend to add it to my Oxley walk in future. It led to an overview of the pond/wetland area at the back of the fields, normally hidden from view from the main track. This ‘adventure’ added White-headed Stilt, Straw-necked Ibis, Great Egret, White-faced Heron and Grey Teal to my otherwise relatively poorly morning list. I didn’t see the Hardhead and Black-fronted Dotterel he had reported, but did pick up an Australian Hobby fly past on the way back – a bird I would most likely have missed otherwise. This being the only true area of quality open water – although it’s more a flooded field than a permanent wetland – it does offer opportunities for some species one used to see at the ponds that are now basically fucked what with Carp and water lilies.

Other things of interest? Buff-banded Rail along the relatively human-quiet main track. A flock of about 8 Chestnut-breasted Mannikins – all immature. A Striated Heron on the main pond (my 7th site record). And butterfly-wise, just the one Monarch.



No comments:

Post a Comment