Thursday 3 December 2015

Weekends That Were - December 2015

Anstead

31.12.15

Last day of the year and we arrived on site at 6.00. It was relatively quiet, especially lacking in Honeyeaters and smaller birds. A couple of fly-over Bazas and Channel-billed Cuckoos, a flock of Apostlebirds, two groups of birds hunting cicadas - in one Pied Currawongs, Oriental Dollarbirds and Black-faced Cuckoo Shrikes, the other primarily Noisy and Little Friarbirds.
Several butterflies were noted including a new photographed one for me – Dainty Swallowtail (lousy picture, but it wouldn’t come any lower) – and a flyby Blue Tiger called by Mr D that just kept going and going....
Dainty Swallowtail

We also had this, as yet unidentified cicada that was panicked from the canopy by a Friarbird - possibly a Brown Bunyip?


We ambled slowly along but had little else of note before heading home and breakfast at Café Tara in Kenmore from where we watched White-throated Needletails feeding over the valley.

Toohey @ night
(still) 30.12.15

We had two objectives – find an Owlet Nightjar and gain some success sugaring for moths.
We started off trying for White-throated Nightjar at the cemetery fence just after dusk – no success. Then it was heading up the path and (me) sugaring as we went.
Further up the track with a calling and a second visible Tawny Frogmouths under our belt we struck complete success with the first objective – Owlet Nightjar at arms length, well almost. Outstanding!
Owlet Nightjar
We moved on and walked the track to the top of the hill seeing Ring-tailed and Brush-tailed Possums a-plenty, Garden & Golden Orb Weaver Spiders, but not much else, apart from this Jumping Spider (I think), which I have, so far been unable to identify.
Jumping Spider
Then it was back down the bitumen to the sugared trees – where we had a little success too - Granny’s Cloak Moth (Speiredonia spec tans)
Granny's Cloak Moth
Not a bad evening’s work, but, surprisingly maybe, fewer spiders than I expected and no geckos or owls. It was very dry and maybe some rain would encourage more activity.

Minnippi

30.12.15

Mr D’s turn to drive and we were on site at 6.15. Bird-wise it was a quiet morning as is normal for this time of year, but we did see plenty of butterflies and I got photos of a couple of new dragonflies. 
Yellow-striped Flutterer
(Female) Australian Duskhawker
(Female) Speckled Line-blue
(Female) Speckled Line-blue
(Male) Speckled Line-blue
The bird of the morning was another Peregrine Falcon fly over – two in less than 24 hours! The Tawny Frogmouth was, surprisingly, back on the nest in the carpark again, for the third time this season? Have the previous broods been unsuccessful? Or so successful they are using the same nest again?
Breakfast was a problem - several cafes we tried were closed and we ended up at a small place at Annerley Junior football club for coffee and toasties and a review of Mr D’s Cuban Experience.


Trotter

(Still) 29.12.15

I contacted Mr D to see what he was up to and he suggested Trotter for an afternoon stroll. I picked him up at 16.00 and we were on site 15 minutes later. Normally trotter is dead with a capital D and to start with, once again, lived up to that reputation.
However, a dragonfly started us of after about 20 minutes – later identified as a probable female Wandering Percher
Female Wandering Percher
We scanned the lake but little was in evidence – just a few Cormorants and Black and Wood Duck. A White-bellied Sea Eagle flew overhead before we returned to the forest trail and continued on.  Four Striped Honeyeaters moved ahead of us hunting cicadas and then, suddenly a huge ‘thing’ flew slowly over our heads – we both lost it when we went for our bins, but, after a fruitless search, it re-appeared and this time crash-landed. It was a massive cicada – a Double Drummer, the biggest of the Australian cicadas and, reputedly, the nosiest insect in the world. It sat placidly in my palm for photographs then I returned it to the wild.
Double Drummer

Double Drummer
Immediately afterwards Mr D pointed out a small praying mantis which turned out to be a Stick Mantis.......cause it resembles a stick......what else? Not quite as exciting as the loudest insect in the world, but never the less I'm sure it's partner thinks it's important.......if it's still alive......

Stick Mantis
At the corner of the track just below the power lines a Peregrine Falcon took off from low down and perched up, calmly, on the pylon. It appeared to be a female and was obviously waiting for us to go so it could return to whatever it had been at.
Peregrine Falcon
We walked down to the shore line again and spotted Black-fronted Dotterels and Red-necked Stints (3) on the distant muddy edge. As we approached to get a clearer view a pair of Red-capped Plovers scampered ahead, doing the broken wing thing. I found their nest – the second I have seen in this area.
Red-capped Plover's nest
Wandering along the shore line further adult White-winged Stilts kicked up a fuss over a couple of chicks trying to hide, but little else showed up before we again, entered the trees and headed back to the car.
For Trotter it wasn’t a bad afternoon’s walk!

Nathan rd Wetlands revisited & Sandgate Lagoon

29.12.15
Following the rain over the Christmas weekend the muddy hole at Wattle Rd was now all filled up - no exposed mud left. Hence the wader numbers had dropped considerably to only 4 Sharp-tailed Sands and a few White-headed Stilts. I did have a group of 4 Mangrove Honeyeaters but apart from that nothing worth recording. 
I thought I'd check out Natan rd itself and found it to be partly water filled again - but no waders evident on the exposed mud, apart from a few Black-fronted Dotterels and 4 Marsh Sands feeding in the shallow water. I didn't hand around long - there wasn't much point - and headed south towards home.
I stopped off at Dowse Lagoon in Sandgate as it was on the way. 4 Whiskered Terns (3x adults, 1x immature) and 2 Wandering Whistle Ducks were the only items of real interest - although I did note Blue Skimmers and Graphic Flutterers as two of the dragonfly species on site.

Graphic Flutterer

Nathan Rd Wetlands

24.12.15

Well, really, it should be called Wattle Road Wetlands - as the only remaining surface water is now at the end of Wattle Rd......anyway I took the opportunity to go and look for the long-staying vagrants. Thanks to Mr T (aka Ged) I had good directions and after sitting out the spitting rain in the car for 10 minutes I headed in along the side of the school playing fields.
Three birders were already on site - Arthur Keats and two birders from Switzerland. Arthur quickly pointed out the Ruff - partly hidden by a low grassy island - and I found the Wood Sandpiper directly opposite us. The third species eluded us for a while but eventually the male Swiss birder picked up the Pectoral Sandpiper in his bins despite our scope scanning. This was a lifer for the Swiss and we spent some time enjoying what could only be described as crippling views.
Pectoral Sandpiperhttps://youtu.be/KOZp4txefXc
They left and I moved in on the Wood Sand and the Ruff for better views, both of which I saw to my great satisfaction.

Ruffhttps://youtu.be/pMGHiJe4vp8

Wood Sandpiperhttps://youtu.be/mQR6UDiq1Wk


Three rarities, all seen well, in one spot - Happy Christmas!

Moggil

23.12.15

Headed out to Moggil, specifically Mill Rd, mainly to look for butterflies. This spot has always been a hotspot for butterflies and I thought I'd check it out.
As I got out of the car at 5.45 I heard the wailing calls of Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo and briefly spotted two or three birds flying off through the trees, unfortunately they didn't reappear. There was plenty to hear - Wonga Pigeons, Brown Cuckoo Doves, Lewin's Honeyeater, a Pheasant Coucal, Eastern Whipbird, Pied Currawongs, all easily identifiable even with my poor hearing.
Walking down the track it seemed I might have got there too early - there wasn't a butterfly in sight, in fact there was nothing in sight - the sun hadn't penetrated the valley yet. A family party of White-throated Treecreepers were the only visible birds in the first several hundred meters, a trio of Eastern Yellow Robins popped up on the one tree trunk further on and a tatty looking fly over Baza and the ubiquitous Channel-billed Cuckoos, but apart from that there was little else, bird-wise. However, a pair of Caper Whites danced around a bush for ages before I got a chance with the camera and an Orange-streaked Ringlet posed nicely in a patch of sun.
Caper White
Orange-streaked Ringlet
Walking back I stopped for a while at a pool of water remaining in the otherwise dry creek bed and took photos of the dragonflies and butterflies taking advantage. If you think taking pictures of birds is difficult try dragonflies! They are very........challenging! 
I did identify a couple of new dragonfly species though - Graphic Flutterer and Rosy Skimmer among the more usual Blue Skimmers and Scarlet Perchers - and I identified my first female Blue Skimmer as well and a (butterfly) Yellow Migrant.
Interestingly the female Blue Skimmer appeared to be depositing eggs in the shallow pool - it hovered then dropped its rear end into the water, causing a splash each time. I assume it was depositing eggs, I can't see what else it could have been doing.
Female Blue Skimmer depositing eggs?
Graphic Flutterer

Rosy Skimmer
Female Blue Skimmer
Yellow Migrant
Nearing the entrance of the walk a large butterfly attracted my attention - it, too, took some time to photograph but i was eventually successful, although the rather dowdy Clearwing Swallowtail (aka Big Greasy, but I prefer the Swallowtail option) was really only worth looking at from underneath.
Clearwing Swallowtail
Clearwing Swallowtail
Oxley

22.12.15

Fell asleep on the couch after breakfast so didn’t get on site until 7.15. Typically warm December morning, partial cloud cover, with bright spells and a warm wind.
The whole Common was pretty quiet bird-wise, with nothing exciting to report. I tried for ages to get photos of Dragonflies around the main pond. Did add a new species (I think) Wandering Percher, a bright red medium sized Dragonfly and got some more shots of Blue Skimmer.
Wandering Percher
While I was doing that a butterfly landed nearby and I think it’s a Swamp Darter. There were heaps of Monarchs, some looking quite worn and a few Chequered Swallowtails and Common Eggflys.
Swamp Darter
I did take a couple of photos of other flying insects that I have no idea of…If anyone has any suggestions?



A small Eastern Water Dragon crossed my path near the second culvert and appears to be a female – the first time I have recognised a gender difference.
Female Eastern Water Dragon
Finished up just after 9.00 and retreated home.

Oakey/Jondaryan

19.12.15


The Great Painted Honeyeater Hunt………..well, maybe not - considering we knew where to stop and saw a bird before we even got out of the car!
Mr J, Mr P and I were on site at 7.00 after a two hour drive. We wandered the area for two hours seeing approx 6 birds and hearing a total of about 10. There was no shortage of them in the scrubby woodland on both sides of the main road and we got crippling views. It was difficult to get them down to a lower level for decent photos though.
Painted Honeyeater

During our ‘hunt’ I held things up photographing several butterfly species – Spotted Grass-blue, Small Grass-yellow, Lesser Wanderer and Meadow Argus among therm. 
Small Grass-blue 
Small Grass-yellow 
Lesser Wanderer
Lesser Wanderer
Meadow Argus
We also had close views of a Cockatiel and, later, down a side road, a classic Brown Songlark perched up on a pole.
Cockatiel
Brown Songlark

On the return trip we stopped off at Lake Galletly at the Uni grounds in the Lockyer Valley – the birds were a bit disappointing, but (what I think were) Macquarie Turtles basked in large numbers.

Macquarie Turtle

Random Fungi

Although possibly not of much interest to most people, occasionally we come across Fungi which are 'different' or noticeable.
I have spent some time lately identifying a few I have photographed in recent months...Luckily all these had 'common' names.

Old Man of the Forest - Anstead
Scarlet Bracket Fungus - Sandy Camp

Laughing Jim - Sandy Camp

Pale-gilled Barefoot - Fuller
12.12.15

Sandy Camp

As Mr P and Mr D were both unavailable I went to Sandy Camp alone on a dull, overcast morning with rain spitting from the southerly wind. It reminded me of birding in Ireland – except it wasn’t cold.
A couple of people had arrived before me, but the usual birds were on display. It was all fairly quiet actually as I followed my usual route; the only points of interest were turning up two butterflies for my site list – Evening Brown and Common Crow.
The bird of the day presented itself right at the end, in its usual place – Spotless Crake, with two well developed chicks

https://youtu.be/DQ7UBDjc57U


https://youtu.be/kysJ0vJUbBA

Spotless Crake

Moving on to Fuller the rain increased, but was still manageable. A feeding party of 6 Latham’s Snipe fooled me for a second into thinking they were fat Sharpies, an unusual sight! Total of 12 Glossy Ibis was a higher than average number, I thought, as I retreated in the face of the increasing downpour.

Driving across the railway line and parking up outside Lindum I sat out the rain for 10 minutes or so, before it appeared to ease and I made the trudge across the grass. There wasn’t much going on – only a couple of Marsh Sandpipers were in evidence, so, as the rain picked up, I once again retreated to the car and this time headed home.

9.12.15

Minnippi


Having an appointment with the bank to discuss my pending change of circumstance I took another day off work – and went to Minnippi. The appointment was earlyish, so didn’t have time to go further afield.
Another hot, moist morning which had my shirt sticking to my back shortly after leaving the car despite the 5.45 start.
Everything was pretty quiet and not much to show for it. One Common Tern was hawking the lake and I did have a single Yellow-faced Honeyeater on the M1 track.
I also had a ‘new’ butterfly for the site; not necessarily new for me or Minnippi, only ‘new’ because of the new ME and my re-vitalised/re-discovered interest; an Evening Brown perched up nicely in its favoured habitat of gloomy surroundings.
Evening Brown
The two Magpie Geese had roosted in the tree over the lake again and flew off as I walked up the path – they returned later and landed honkingly on the back of the island.

On the Airfield track small numbers of Dainty Grass Blues flitted around, but no sign of the Blue Triangles of last week. I did find a couple of Common Bluetail dragonflies back near the lake, but otherwise, as noted, it was pretty quiet overall.

5.12.15 - PM

Sugaring - Trotter


In March 1966 my Dad gave me a book which I have retained and referred to many, many times over the intervening years – the Junior Naturalists’ Handbook by Geoffrey G Watson, founder of the British Junior Naturalist’s Association.
Through it I experimented with taxidermy, rock, fossil, fungi, beetle and butterfly collecting, cleaning animal skulls, making plaster casts of animal prints, the dissection of owl pellets etc. Occupations that have fascinated and taught me so much about the natural world -  but there was one activity I had always wanted to try and never got to - sugaring for moths. This involves spreading a sweet sugary mixture on trees at night and just watching the hordes of hungry insects flock to the feast. I imagined moths, followed by stick insects and geckos, maybe even gliders would be interested?
So, after (almost) 50 years (!), I finally decided the time was right. I bought the treacle and brown sugar, heated and mixed them, added a splash of Bourbon and bottled the mixture ready to go. The night was as prescribed –warm, still, moonless.
I arrived at Trotter at about 7 and set off into the woods, ‘painting’ the sticky mixture onto trees along the track. I chose a variety of tree trunks – smooth eucalyptus and rough barked ironwood. Once I had spread enough around I dumped the bottle and brush back in the car and walked again checking the results of my handiwork – nothing, nada, zip, no interest…….
OK, OK, so give it time. I set off and walked around our usual track in Trotter – i.e. down to the lake, along the shoreline, back up under the powerlines, back around to the original entry track; and checked my trees again. And again – nothing, no gliders, no geckos, no stick insects, not even a moth of ANY size or description…..
Now, it wasn’t a huge surprise. There weren’t exactly flocks of moths waiting with bated breath to get pissed on my sugary concoction. There were plenty of micro moths in my headlight beam, but I had only seen two small to medium size moths in my hour long walk, so ……….I had found Garden Orb Spiders building webs, several Cane Toads, a Bush Cockroach showing interest in the offering at one tree and a single Brush Possum near another, but other than that it was singular failure.
Bush Cockroach - one of the good ones!
Was I disappointed? Was I depressed? Did I throw the remaining mixture into the night? 
No! I’ll try again,   somewhere else, another night. Maybe it was too early in the season? Maybe it was too windy? Maybe it wasn’t warm enough? Maybe it was just Trotter – its not exactly renowned for its masses of wildlife, maybe it wasn’t the best place to start?

I headed home and finished off the bottle Bourbon myself……….


PostScript: On Sunday I went back in the afternoon to see if any butterflies had been attracted to my trees. Again, no-one seemed to be interested, the painted splashes had dried out a bit, but were still tacky and the smell persisted. I didn’t see a single butterfly in the area either so it didn’t prove anything. If they’re not there they can’t be attracted…….

5.12.15 - AM

Oxley
Mr D picked me up and we arrived on site at 5.45. Warm morning, fairly still and the birding was relatively quiet - as one would expect this time of year. On the way to the ponds there was little of excitement and the first bird to cause any sort of stir was a Latham’s Snipe sitting up nicely in the grass beside the first pond on the left.
As we headed back from the lakes, Mr D stopped and drew my attention to a female Pacific Koel perched up on a fence in the open! We had absolutely crippling views of her before eventually leaving her in peace – amazing views in fact, so unusual for this normally very discreet and difficult to see bird.

Spot the female Koel

https://youtu.be/qwjuu_QvY44


As the morning had warmed, the butterfly activity had started and I immersed myself in trying to digitally capture tiny Blues and Darts and a couple of curious Dragon/Damsel fly types darting round above the short grass. I later tentatively identified these latter as a Red Swamphawk and a Blue Skimmer.
Red Swampdragon
Further on up the track a large brightly coloured butterfly had me scrambling over the barbed wire fence and ploughing into chest-high weeds to catch up, successfully, with a Chequered Swallowtail.
Chequered Swallowtail 
Chequered Swallowtail- underwing

Little else of importance interrupted our return to the car and or usual destination in these parts - to Café Europa for a Hungarian inspired breakfast.

2.12.15

Minnippi - again

I took a sickie as I had an appointment in the city in the afternoon and had been kindly offered a lift in and out by a very close friend – hence avoiding the sweaty bike ride or the nightmare of public transport, shudder at the thought….. Normally I don’t take ‘sickies’ but, at this advanced stage of my career, I figured ‘what’s the worst that can happen’? They can’t fire me….
I waited out the spotting rain as I had a slow breakfast and so didn’t get on-site until 6.15 – later than I had planned. It was very, very muggy - incredibly so, sweat running down my back the instant I stepped out of the car, the air thick and still.
The river was quiet; the lake just so, however, as I stood at the pylon a white Tern appeared dipping and swooping towards me. My immediate response was ‘Common Tern’ – however, I started to doubt myself as I was pretty sure CT had never been recorded in Minnippi before – I certainly hadn’t seen one here. I checked my in-phone Pizzey & Knight and came to the conclusion it was probably a non-breeding Whiskered Tern. Within a few minutes two more birds joined the first one and they worked the lake in a very familiar style…… I tried to get some shots but failed miserably. It was still niggling me, something wasn’t right, but I moved on as they moved to the upper lake and disappeared out of sight.
The M1 track was quiet, very little moving. The only real excitement was a Sparrowhawk, I believe, flying away through the trees with what appeared to be a Rainbow Lorikeet clutched in its talons – not that I got THAT good a look at it, but the screaming Lorikeet in its wake suggested the id of the dead bird.
Up the grass track and back to the lake – still with very little to record. The 2 Magpie Geese were still perched up in the tree as they were on the weekend – they left as I watched. I checked the Tawny Frogmouth – sitting securely on the nest - and then noticed the three terns perched on the railing of the boardwalk. This gave me an excellent opportunity to take photos and two allowed close approach.
The cap appeared too ‘far forward’ for Whiskered, there was a dark carpal bar which didn’t appear to be part of the W’s plumage, the tail and wing feathers were very long when closed and the primaries darker than I thought W’s should be – but Common Tern? Really? At Minnippi? REALLY? It seemed such an unusual place to see CT. I know some do go inland, I’ve seen them, of course, at Samsonvale for example – but usually to much bigger bodies of water – such as Pine River Dam. It seemed a real stretch here,  so I resolved to send photos to Mr P without offering any hints and see what his conclusions were – I knew, too, that if they were CTs he’d want to add them to his site list……
(Post Note: Mr P later confirmed my first instincts, they were definitely Common Terns – a little embarrassing, but sometimes you see what you expect to see and not what is clearly indicated.)
Common Tern!
Moving on – I watched at least three species of Dragonfly soaring round the water weed near the boardwalk, but they didn’t land. I can see it’s going to be a challenge to photograph these things…….unless I catch them in compromising positions (aka Cycle position) as I did with a couple of Common Bluetail.
Common Bluetail
Over the hill and down the Airfield track. Heaps of Dainty Grass Blues but none would land and/or open their wings for me. Several Blue Triangles fed on the lantana and I managed to get some shots although their continuously fluttering wings didn’t help….
Blue Triangle
I saw another Donuca Orbigera, or what I am starting to think of as Stu’s Moth, and I photographed a different spider which I later identified as a Golden Orb Spider mainly due to the general body shape, web design and the brown patches on its legs – just visible in this rather shitty photo….
Golden Orb Spider
Bird-wise the track was very dead and I trudged back up the hill wet from head to foot.
Back beside the lake a couple of white butterflies attracted my attention and I chased one down. With Mr K’s help I identified it as a Cabbage White, even though the rear underwing was not as yellow as depicted in the books…..
Cabbage White
a few meters further along the bike path and a nice Common Eggfly posed near a family party of Red-backed Fairy Wrens!

So……another morning at Minnippi, my 169th  visit. A new spider, two new butterflies, a new dragonfly and, best of all, a new bird for my site list – worth having the day off for!

No comments:

Post a Comment