Monday 4 January 2016

Weekends That Were - January 2016


30.1.16

Toowoomba and points West

I stayed overnight at Mr B’s for convenience and we left at 6.30 for breakfast at Mackers and to meet another butterfly fancier, Peter. Then all three of us headed west to Toowoomba, turned left and a further 40 minutes later arrived in Leyburn, well, not so much IN Leyburn as on a roadside in the general area, meeting up with Tony from NSW.
Between the narrow, one-lane-each-way bitumen and the fence of the adjacent, cleared paddock a strip of bush about 20-40 meters wide contained a small number of Bulloak trees. These trees are the residence of a special type of ant. One of the rarest butterflies in Australia, the Bulloak Jewel Hypochrysops piceata, relies on these ants in these trees in this sole location to nurture their young (caterpillars aka ‘grubs’) between hatching and pupation.  Mr B et al had already identified several of these trees and they became our focus for the morning. There were several adults circling the 5-6 meter canopy, only occasionally drifting lower making photography difficult – especially when their wingspan is only 22 mm. I did manage to get a couple of photos with a little help from my friends and of one slightly damaged female albeit with beautifully coloured under wings.
Bulloak Jewel

Bulloak Jewel - slightly damaged
There were numerous other butterflies passing – Dainty Swallowtail, Yellows, Lesser Wanderer etc., and this one – Two-spotted Line Blue Nacaduba biocellata.
Two-spotted Line blue
Birds were pretty thin on the ground – I heard a Striped Honeyeater and a flock of White-winged Choughs were evident. I also saw, briefly, a White-eared Honeyeater, but being the middle of he day and very hot, (33 degrees), the birds were being a lot more sensible than us…..
I did find one interesting a spider which, with the help of Rob from arachne.org.au, we identified as a Dome Tent Spider Cyrtophora moluccensis.
Dome Tent spider
Heading back we stopped at Toowoomba at a tree in a park with a heavy growth of Mistletoe. Here we found a small number of Dark Purple Azure Ogyris abrota, which, at this location, are at the northern end of their range.
Dark Purple Azure
It was a really interesting day during which I gained an understanding of how ants interact with butterfly grubs, and was privileged to see one of the rarest butterflies in the world.


On my return I had emails from the Queensland Museum who had very kindly responded to my cries for assistance in identifying some of the insects of recent weeks. A Soldier Beetle Chanlicognathus tricolor from Minnippi 
Soldier Beetle
and a Pointy Orbweaver Aeaneus acuminatus from Moggill. 
Pointy Orb Weaver
Further work on my own behalf today, and I decided that a previously unidentified ‘blue’, also from Minnippi, must be a Long-tailed Pea-blue Lampides boeticus, although the damage to the hind wing has, unfortunately, destroyed the ‘long tails’ and most of the two ‘eyes’…..

26.1.16

Mt Tamborine

Being Australia Day I decided to spend the morning with Kara and Lincoln and headed down their way at 8.30. It was an overcast, showery kind of day, but at bout 10.00 it started to brighten up and Kara suggested we try a bush walk on Mt Tamborine.
It’s not an area I go to with any sort of regularity – in fact, it’s probably 10 years since I was last in the area. Mr D had mentioned Witch’s Falls and we eventually found the national park and started down the very steep track. Walking in the bush with a two and a half year old was a relatively new experience for me and so it was slowly, slowly, examining every rock, stick, flower, and ant etc with great interest!
In fact this paid off as we managed to get close views of a couple of Skinks that I otherwise would probably have missed. I failed to identify them with any certainty so sent off photos to the Queensland Museum. Much to my surprise – and delight – they responded within 12 hours identifying one as a type of shadeskink – Challenger’s Shadeskink, Saproscincus challenger 
Challenger’s Shadeskink, Saproscincus challenger 
and the second as a Bar-sided Skink, Elamprus tennis. 
Bar-sided Skink, Elamprus tennis
The Challenger’s has, as is the way with many of the skink species, a restricted range within the McPherson range area from sea level to 500m, while the Bar-sided is more common – from northern Queensland to south of Sydney. Both are about 70-90mm, your average skink size.
We also saw some fungi which I haven’t IDd yet and I took some photos of Linkman among the trees.
Bird-wise? Saw virtually nothing – it was the middle of the day and I hadn’t taken bins – but heard Wompoo and Rose-crowned Fruit Dove and White-eared Monarch and saw Orchard Swallowtails, Blue Triangles and, briefly, a probable Regent Skipper.

I think I’ll put it on my list for a future visit on a quieter day.

25.1.16

Oxley

Oxley again – an overcast, still muggy morning at 6.15. Activity fairly low key, but plenty of birds around. All three Fairywren species – quite active – a female Rufous Whistler mixing it with a flock of Silvereyes is the first whistler I’ve noted on site for a while and Spangled Drongos had made a re-appearance.
The lakes held the usual birds with an apparent increase in numbers of Swamphens (5) and Moorhens (4), which have been almost zero all summer. An Australian Hobby zipped through on a mission somewhere – looked like a large Swallow, so think it was probably a male. The Pied Cormorant was still on site and a single Dollarbird hawked along the river. The only butterflies in evidence were a few Monarchs and even the Dragonflies were very quiet with only a female Blue Skimmer hovering over the ponds.
On the return walk I stopped to photograph White-browed Scrubwrens – a challenge to get decent photos of – I was only semi-successful.
Further back I noticed a tree with grass sticking out of holes bored in the trunk. I’ve read about this somewhere but not noticed/seen it before. I think it’s a caterpillar, like a wood boring Moth caterpillar, which collects the grass at night and pulls it into the hole behind it. The tree had about 6 holes like this – and I couldn’t find any other trees with a similar story. I’m trying to remember where I read it…….

Back at the car by 8.30, very muggy and sweaty, headed home for a shower.

23.1.16

Moggill

So, we went to Moggill. Mr D had been keen to go for a while – its his preferred environment – and it turned into a pretty good day. I had last visited exactly one month ago on 23rd December and the contrast was remarkable. Even taking into account my poor hearing and Mr D’s highly efficient ears, there was a lot more activity.
Almost the first bird we heard was a new site tick – a Noisy Pitta calling in the gulley to the right. We went on to hear more species without sightings – Wonga Pigeon, Rose-crowned Fruit Dove, the ubiquitous Olive-backed Oriole and Oriental Dollarbird.
More easily visible Eastern Yellow Robins and Rufous Fantails, White-throated Treecreepers and Large-billed Scrub wrens, an overflying tatty looking Pacific Baza was the only raptor, while, higher still, a number of White-throated Needletails crisscrossed the valley.
A call stimulated us to playback and 2 White-eared Monarchs showed briefly, later, 2 Black-faced Monarchs, one a juvenile, also turned up. Common Cicadabirds hunted in the canopy – a total of about 6 birds - several Fan-tailed Cuckoos and one Brush, two Leaden Flycatchers and, again two, Varied Trillers moved through the thick vine shrouded mid level. Another new site bird was prolific – calling, but very hard to get a sighting – Brown Gerygone. Finally, a number of calls, and brief sightings, of Bell Miner suggested the colony is still intact – although nowhere near as extensive as in previous years.
Photography was generally difficult due to the silhouetting effect of most birds being overhead. However, a range of butterflies provided camera fodder, but all have been previously recorded and displayed – Monarch, Blue Triangle, Orange-streaked Ringlet, Dainty & Orchard Swallowtails, No Brand Grass-yellow, Meadow Argus, Evening Brown etc. My new toy, the laser pointer, turned out to be very handy when pointing out butterflies that landed in the dead leaves and dry grass to each other - it was also very useful, at times, pinpointing birds for each other in the thicker canopy. I'd brought it along to show it off, share it, and didn't expect to find a use for it during daylight, in this situation, but it will now be part of my daily kit!

We filled a good three hours, spending a lot of time standing around picking out species in the more open areas of the track. Then it was time for breakfast at Café Tara in Kenmore and off we went…..

21.1.16

Enoggera Resevoir

Last night thinking about where I might go and it suddenly occurred to me – Enoggera. Haven’t been there for ages – a check of my records revealed my last visit was in July 2012, so decided that would be my morning’s destination.
The first thing was still as I remembered them - the Bush Stone Curlews standing guard in the car park. These guys are always reliable first thing in the morning (I noticed they’d gone from their usual spot when I came back through later.)
Bush Stone Curlews
The next thing I noted was the number of cars in the car park. I had thought the main gates were closed until later in the morning (it was 6.00) and the next surprise was a guy loading a surf ski/kayak onto his car……then the signs started to appear.
Not only kayaking was allowed, and encouraged, but swimming! And Mountain biking! Arriving at the lakeside a few minutes later along the widened, graded ‘kayak’ trail – as opposed to the mountain bike or walking trail - I found a landscaped area with more signs delineating the swimming area and, to one side, the paddlecraft area. Further to my horror, a veritable triathalon of swimmers appeared around the corner from the main lake, plowing through the water towards me. God knows where they had swum to but the mass emerged onto the grassy sward while two other individuals launched their paddle board and canoe.
I started out along the track wondering what effect this activity would have on the water birds – I saw one Australian Grebe swimming ahead of the ‘pack’ towards the hopeful sanctuary of the weed infested side channel. In the same area a handful of Black Ducks, Hardheads and a few Moorhen also sheltered from the invasion out on the main body of water. Not good.
As I wandered along, a mountain biker went past – at least he was on the fire break which kind of parallels the walking track, little hope of Painted Buttonquail, I guessed. Suddenly a runner, and I mean a ‘runner’, not a jogger, came pelting down the track towards me. This guy was going full on, I mean, running hard. He went past me with inches to spare, I turned hoping he’d find a tree root and go arse over tit and break his neck, but he disappeared in a cloud of dust, apparently still upright.
I fail to understand why people behave like that in this kind of area. That wanker could be running in a windowless room for all it mattered. It’s a WALKING track stupid!
Then the walkers appeared. The usual shite – walkie talkies - and they all insist on saying good morning. Why do they feel the need to fecking say good morning to someone obviously birding, looking for peace and quiet, someone they will never meet again in their fecking short lives. ITS NOT FACEBOOK! NOONE CARES! YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE NOTICED!
OK so I’ve become a grumpy old fart. But really? Really?
I walked on, assuming the worst, but it actually turned out OK. I had a good morning’s birding and got some nice shots (for me) of Brown Thornbill 
Brown Thornbill
and juvenile Varied Triller (being fed by an adult), and had a close encounter with a White-throated Treecreeper that fed on trees within arms reach, which was lovely. 
I saw King Parrots, Rufous Fantail, Little Shrike Thrush, Shining Bronze Cuckoo and one male Cicadabird among the more usual stuff. I tried for Lewin’s Rail and Bush hen, but no response but the new Bluetooth speaker worked brilliantly.  
I probably heard Little Lorikeets overhead, but wasn’t certain…. I noted 4 Dragonfly and 3 Butterfly species – none new – and a new fungi and emerged at 9.00 back at the car in the usual 30 degree heat.

OK – so the powers that be are making more use of the reservoir – that’s great. I’m just unsure of the impact of people on and in (!) the water in such a small dam. How far they go from the entry area I’m not sure, but I am concerned that the closest Great Crested Grebes to Brisbane may not be here in future and if it was that busy on a Friday morning, what the hell would it be like on a weekend…..
POSTSCRIPT - some time later while reviewing the dragonfly photos I DID find a new species (for me) 
Palemouth Brachydiplax denticauda
19.1.16

Minnippi

Decided to do Minnippi today – I thought I’d go early and see what difference that might make, if any. So I was on site at 5.30 – already daylight, but still relatively cool and quiet.
The lake was much the same, almost devoid of surface life. On the M1 track a juvenile Brush Cuckoo showed well and then was chased away by a pair of Eastern Yellow Robins – surprisingly, as I haven’t seen or heard any EYRs here since April last year and assumed they had all gone ‘up country’ to breed.
There wasn’t much else on the track although I walked through the forest alongside the busy highway and back down the central track.
The lake was also quiet, Black Duck numbers remain low and even Swamphens and Moorhens were minimal and the weed still covers most of the lake’s surface. However a distant Latham’s Snipe was feeding in the shallow water on the small island and as I watched that, a Buff-banded Rail showed briefly behind it. This is the first Snipe I’ve seen here since 17th January last year – almost exactly a year!
On the Airfield track two Channel-billed Cuckoos perched up, but I only saw one clearly – a juvenile bird. I flushed two Brown Quail off the side of the track – possibly the first time I have seen them down there – and a mixed flock of Figbirds and Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes hung around watching each other. I wondered at that, but then guessed they might be waiting for the cicadas to start as there was no cicada noise, but it was heating up. Maybe they need the insects to be active and calling before they get onto them?

Back up towards Stu’s Lookout and a Brown Goshawk soared overhead, however, nothing else showed and I headed home.

17.1.16

Oxley

Mr D picked me up at 5.45 and a lovely cool morning it was, so it was. We wandered the track and it didn’t seem like we saw anything much, but when I compiled my list later it was a good ‘haul’ - if not very exciting.
6 Oriental Dollarbirds – 2 adults near the boat ramp and 4 juveniles further up river
2 Whistling Kites perched up at the lake.
1 Brown Goshawk chased by 5 Sulphur-crested Cockatoos.
1 Baza lazily circling overhead
2 new–for-site butterflies – Evening Brown and Blue Triangle.
Oh…. and a single Black Swan on the first pond…….


Not a bad morning, followed by a long breakfast at Café Europa to once again enjoy Hungarian hospitality.

16.1.16

North Stradbroke Island

The weather turned on Friday. It went from stinking hot, monotonous north easterlies to a brisk, increasing, cool, south easterly which gradually built to 20+ knots overnight. Where else would you go but Pt Lookout!
Usual car/ferry/bus trip arriving on the point at 8.00 – and starting off the day well with the usual 2 Bush Stone Curlews opp the Anchorage Resort and a new species for my site list with a Striped Honeyeater in the bush at Pt Lookout on the way. Five Grey Kangaroos nibbling the grass opp the shops was a nice addition too, however, the seawatch was the thing and the winds were perfect. A howling 25 knot plus, wild, distorted seas, cloudy, threatening skies, Whale Rock puffing and blowing as the big swells crashed home. Perfect!
I set up in the cave straight away, figuring it would rain sooner or later and the rock provided excellent shelter from the winds.
The first birds revealed in the scope – hundreds of Common Terns in an apparent feeding flock. Common Noddys, Little Terns, Wedge-tailed and Short-tailed Shearwaters soon showed among the flocks in smaller but consistent numbers. It was hard to follow individual birds due to the large swells and wild seas.
I stuck out the cave for an hour or so, but my bum became, in Pink Floyd’s words, uncomfortably numb, so I moved out and set up the chair to ease my aching posterior. Unfortunately this exposed me to the odd easterly gust that caused the scope to vibrate, but the light was still good and the birds were still coming.
A light phase Pomarine Skua went past determinedly flying into the wind without any apparent problem, as they do. Not long afterwards a smaller, lighter bird appeared and it too flew competently south, but it was closer to the nearby Crested Terns in size, ‘lighter’ in jiz, lacking white flashes in the upper wing and with clear white belly and chest and dark upperparts. My first reaction was ‘Sooty Tern’ but immediately dismissed as its flight pattern became obvious – it had to be Long-tailed Skua. The long awaited addition to my/our Pt Lookout list at last!

Later a Fluttering/Hutton’s type Shearwater landed on the water and I lost it – only to find it much later, and much closer, to the headland. A dark phase Arctic Skua and an immature  Sooty Tern also passed south before I gave it away at 10.30 and headed home. The Shearwater and Noddy passage had dropped off although the Terns were still feeding offshore.

14.1.16

Anstead

I headed out to Anstead at 5.45. It was already light, of course, but I’m caught between a rock and a hard place - or maybe between a bird and a butterfly wing? If I go too early the butterflies miss out, if I go too late the birds wonder where I am…….so I try to balance it - before the heat destroys everyone.
It was a lovely morning – bright and sunny and not really that hot – but muggy? Shit, yeah! My shirt was sticking to my back within 5 minutes of leaving the car at 6.15. There were a few birds around, but it seemed they were really finishing up for the day because by 7.15 it was completely shut down. Like someone flicked a switch. Not a sound – apart from distant crows, really, really quiet. Then the cicadas started up …..
However, I did OK anyway. A single Little Lorikeet overhead, Noisy and Little Friarbirds, 3 Cicadabirds – 2 females and a male – and a single female King Parrot. I also scored a new bird for my site list – 2 really confiding White-headed Pigeons perched up unexpectedly above the track. See, Mr D it IS worth walking that track all the way to the fence!
It was probably the insect’s day, though. First up a beautiful Jewel or Spiny Spider hanging off its single thread web.
Then a real surprise – while trying to spot Cicadas I noticed a different shape on a tree trunk….
This turned out to be a pair of mating Wattle Goat Moths – huge things, but very passive.
Then again if someone interrupted my coitus I guess I’d just lie there and hope they went away as well…
Wattle Goat Moth
I also had close views of Dainty Swallowtail and a new species for me - No Brand Grass-yellow.
No Brand Grass Yellow
I also identified a fungus – God, retirement is exciting isn’t it? No name bracket-type Phellinus wahlbergii
By 8.45 I was back at the car and sweating unbelievably – 31 degrees on the car register? before 9.00.?   F*** me. Hopped in, cranked the air con and headed for Moggill Pocket swamp. Both ponds completely dry. Just a few Swamphens hanging around, a Pale-headed Rosella and a few butterflies and dragonflies.

I didn’t spend much time here for obvious reasons and headed home for the sanctuary of the couch and the fan before my hair burst into flame…..

12.1.16

Sandy Camp & Lindum

Trying to avoid the heat I made an effort to get out early….but still wasn’t on site until quarter to six. Sounds early? Not really – it had been daylight at 5…..
Anyway, the site was quite birdy, but nothing much to report. I flushed a disgruntled Nankeen Night Heron from beside the viewing platform, but the day was more memorable for dipping rather than twitching – most notably no Spotless Crakes and no Black Bittern. I did add Orchard Swallowtail and Magpie Moth (a la Minnippi the other day) to my insect site list, but other than that it was pretty unremarkable. Loads of Little Pied & Little Black Cormorants and Darters nesting in all ponds, I chased a handful of Brown Quail down the track and a large number (~25) of Chestnut-breasted Mannikins would have provided some fodder for a Sparrowhawk had there been one around…. Striped Marsh Frogs calling and a couple of Eastern Water Dragons were the extent of the Retiles and Amphibians.
Fuller was accessible due to the school holidays and the groundsman gave me a wave, which was good news. A single Glossy Ibis was the best bird there.
On to Lindum and 2 Australian Pipits bounced around the grass – 2 Sharp-tailed and 7 Marsh Sandpipers the only real interest. Another single Glossy Ibis was a less common site species, but I have had them there before – and one Red-kneed Dotterel. Eight Dusky Moorhen was a higher than normal number and, as the place is obviously tidal, a little weird to see them hanging out on salty water.

By the time I went down Burnby rd (8.30) it was really starting to get hot and the lack of activity signaled the increasing heat. I didn’t waste a lot of time there and headed home to the comfort and shelter of the couch again….

10.1.16

Minnippi (again)

I met Mr P in the car park at 6.30 watching a small flock of White-throated Needletails low overhead – after they passed we headed in to the lake. As yesterday it was pretty quiet, but we did have Oriental Dollarbird, White-throated Honeyeaters and White-breasted Wood Swallow as additions. The track itself was quiet as was the walk back to the lakeside. A Magpie Goose perched up on the rail beside the pond was a bit unusual – we didn’t disturb him, left him honking.
Salvinia has continued to creep across the water’s surface – hopefully the council will do something soon, as there is not much open water left.
Over to the M1 track and much the same as yesterday again, but our rest stop at Stu’s Raptor Lookout produced an immature White-bellied Sea Eagle soaring lazily across the sky.

The remaining walk back to the cars didn’t produce anything else of interest.

9.1.16

Spotlighting - Trotter

Mr D picked me up at 7 as arranged and we headed down the track into the forest at 7.15.
Lots of spiders’ eyes and a few dozen Cane Toads in the first couple of hundred meters then a shape above resolved itself into a sleeping Common Bronzewing.
We reached the lake shore without any further excitement and Mr D played for White-throated Nightjar. Almost immediately we had a response and soon afterwards a bird soared past just above head height. It circled a few times and appeared to land but we couldn’t locate it. This species was one of our targets and we were well pleased!
Moving further down the track a pair of eyes off to the side revealed a Koala and I took some photos of night-flying dragonflies.
We reached the power lines and tried for Owlet Nightjar, and, again, got a response but the bird was not close or visible. Mr D played nightjar again and again within a few seconds the bird – or another – arrived. This time it perched up on top of a dead tree. 
While we were scanning for it, Mr D spotted another pair of eyes in a nearby tree - a Squirrel Glider!
Squirrel Glider
Finished with photos we headed along the back track hearing again the Owlet Nightjar and finding two Brush-tailed Possums together. Closer to the car a pair of Ring-tailed Possums huddled in a tree over the track.
Another successful spotlighting expedition!

Minnippi

                                                                                                                                                             
On site at 6.15. Pretty quiet on the lake, level still high. In the woods on the M1 track it was very quiet too, apart from a very quiet Koala perched up and a Sacred Kingfisher leaving its termite mud nest.
Back to the lake and it was the usual stuff, nothing to write home about.
Down the Airfield track – heard a Brush Cuckoo, several Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes and Little Friarbirds catching cicadas. A lot of Evening Brown butterflies in the shadows and Common Crows in the sunlight.

Up the hill to Stu’s Raptor Lookout – and nothing much there either. So, back towards the car and checking the butterflies along the edge of the path – probable Large Yellow Grass-dart, although these things are very difficult to differentiate.

6 - 7.1.16

Overnighter - Cooloola NP

I picked Mr J up at 13.30 and we headed north filling up with fuel at the local Costco service station thanks to his card. We only stopped at the fuel station outside Gympie to stretch and get a cold drink - then it was off the highway and down to the turn-off 20 kms short of Rainbow Beach. The track was a bit rough but easily manageable. We drove to the end and decided to camp beside the pump station on the banks of the creek. Nice flat, grassy spot with a bit of shade and the sound of the creek in the back ground. We set up camp - took all of 15 minutes and headed back up the track.
White-cheeked Honeyeaters were in plentiful supply with Bar-shouldered and Peaceful Doves on and off the track.
But these were not our target birds - Ground Parrot, Brush Bronzewing, Southern Emu-wren and Grass Owl were the birds we had come to find. 
Our first successfully acquired target occurred when we started back down the track and, seeing 3 large birds ahead of us, stopped to check them out. Two were Common Bronzewings, but the third, and furthest bird, was a Brush - rich brown shoulders and nape clerkly visible in Mr J's photograph.
Brush Bronzewing x Mr J
We returned to camp and had a beer - it was STINKING hot, not a breath of wind anywhere, clear sky and very, very clammy. Even after dark it was probably still in the high 20s. 
We headed out and walked the track that heads east from the main track across the heath and into the trees. 
A Green Tree Frog sat on top of a sign, 
Green Tree Frog
but apart from him - and 2 others - the main activity belonged to the hundreds of Cane Toads sitting in the track - some ginormous ones among them.
Further up the track we came across the only standing water we found and sitting in the pool - a Keelback snake.
Keelback by Mr J
As we watched the snake a hissing sound acme apparent and looking up we found an Eastern Barn Owl in a nearby tree. Further up the track another one showed.
Eastern Barn Owl
We tried for Owlet Nightjar and White-throated Nightjar. I heard a response from the former but only Mr J heard the latter - distantly.
We also tried for Grass Owl for no result.
returning to camp we ate and crashed, it was still very hot and dead still.
7.1.16 Up at 5.00, quick breakfast and out on the track again. This time we flushed our second target bird, Ground Parrot, off the main track and, later, two other birds from the heath. Good flight views only.
A number of Grasshopper type things flew from under our feet showing bright yellow and black 'wings' as the glided away - these turned out to be Yellow-winged Locusts.
Yellow-winged Locust
It took a while, but eventually we found a single Southern Emu-wren. Mr J had heard them calling but we had been unable to raise them visually or even accurately identify their exact location. Finally one female sat up for a few seconds and he managed to get a photo.
Southern Emu Wren by Mr J
The heat was building again, despite it only being 8am. We returned to camp, packed up and headed out. We stopped on the track at the culvert to look for butterflies and a giant (unidentified) Dragonfly that eluded our efforts. While there a growling noise from the long grass revealed the presence of a Lewin's Rail, but he declined to show himself.
We drove slowly back along the track and, about half way back to the main road saw a large lizard run across the road. It turned out to a beautifully marked Lace Monitor known as Bell's form.
We headed back to Gympie, and another cold drink and fill up with fuel, without further incident.
Heading further south towards home Mr J suggested checking Caboolture airfield for vagrant waders....it was an easy 2 minute turn off so he had no problem convincing me......
Unfortunately we were out of luck this time, but I did see a new butterfly (for me)....Orchard Monarch, feeding on the blossoms of a tree overhanging the car park.

I dropped Mr J home - to his two daughters' delight - and headed home myself.

6.1.16

Oxley

Following the previous 24 hours of rain I was keen to get out and do something. On site at 6.45 and out along the quiet track. There wasn't  a lot to see or report until I reached the lakes and then the 3 bird flyover of Gull-billed Terns only lasted a minute or so. It's only the second time I have had GBT here but they didn't hang around.
I spent some time trying to photograph Dragonflies....
On the way back a butterfly attracted my attention and I got some shots to identify it - Common Eggfly but with no apparent blue in the wings.
Further on a very confiding pair of Double-barred Finches hopped unconcernedly along the track.

Then it was home to prepare for an overnight camp.......

1.1.16 - 3.1.16

Sydney Twitch


Mr M (aka Dave) picked us up at the doughnut shop at 19.00 in Sydney airport after a successful Jetstar flight. The great Hudsonian Godwit Twitch was on.
Saturday morning and we were  joined by Mr RH (aka Rob Hynson) and headed south to arrive two and a half hours later at Lake Wollumboola.
A large flock of between 300 and 400 White-throated Needletails overhead and a trio of Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos were immediately evident before we headed down to the sand dune locked lake.
Waders were easy to find and we quickly focused on a small flock of, mainly, Bar-tailed Godwits. Most were asleep and it took the better part of an hour before we were confident that the Hudwit was not present. We decided to head down the lake to see the other big attractant – the suspected wild Paradise Shelduck. This bird has apparently arrived from New Zealand and will, I believe, be the first mainland record in Australia. It was easy to see, although distant, associating with the Black Swans but staying well out on the edge of the flock, thank goodness. We didn’t approach too close, I, for one, didn’t want to be ‘the #@$^& from Queensland who flushed the Shelduck.’
Paradise Shelduck
As we headed back towards the Godwit flock we received news that the Hudwit had since arrived with other Godwits and so we hurried back to re-focus on the expanded flock. It took another hour or so before we all had satisfactory views of the underwing as this is, realistically, the only identifying factor to be 100% certain of the bird.
We also had White-winged Black Terns, a Swamp Harrier, a Grey Plover, Great Knot and the more common Red-necked Stints, Red-capped Plovers, Curlew and Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and a Ruddy Turnstone.
Back to the car and we headed north, heavy traffic through Nowra and Berry before we stopped for a quick Hungry Jacks before turning off the main highway and heading up the range to Barren Grounds in the hope of Pilotbird for me.
We searched around the house and first car park but only found Brown Thornbills, Eastern Spinebills, Grey Fantails and a Satin Bowerbird. A new butterfly resolved itself to be a Varied Sword-grass Brown.
Varied Swordgrass Brown
We drove up to the second, main, car park and wandered the tracks, first of all back towards the house where Mr RH pointed out an Eastern Water Skink Eulamprus quoyii then out along the popular Bristlebird/Ground Parrot tracks. We did have two Eastern Bristlebirds a single Beautiful Firetail and a very discreet, almost-impossible-to-see party of Southern Emu Wrens.
Surprising stuff for a warm, cloudy January afternoon!
We returned to the car and decided to stop briefly to check again for Pilotbird near the house. We had given up and were just about getting into the car when Mr RH shouted “Gang Gang” and ran up the track. We all quickly followed and then a pair of Gang Gang Cockatoos flew low over our heads and perched up briefly in the eucalypts on the other side of the track. I went for the camera and got shots of the female – unfortunately they didn’t stick around long so I missed the perched up male. But what a turn up! A long-sought and hoped-for lifer for me, but, realistically, unexpected on this trip at this time of day.
On the way down the range we turned off to Minnamurra Rainforest thinking a last ditch attempt for Pilotbird maybe? However, the gate was firmly closed and barred and a sign threatened dire consequences if we attempted to enter after 5.00pm.
We headed home well pleased with our haul.
3.1.16 It was a late start with Mr P and I going for a local wander and seeing very little for our trouble. Eventually we set off to Mr M’s 100% guarantee-or-your-money-back Red-whiskered Bulbul site.
It did produce and we saw at least two birds and heard more – my first sighting in 35 years!
Then it was a visit to Centennial Park to look for Powerful Owl near the café – apparently there are 4 birds in the park, but we were unable top locate any despite searching the trees described by the receptionist at the information desk at the café.
So, approaching lunch time, and we thought a seawatch off Maroubra might be worthwhile as the wind was picking up from the south. We set ourselves up and started scanning the Wedge-tailed and small flocks of Short-tailed Shearwaters passing Mistral headland. A Sooty Shearwater was picked up and then a Buller’s Shearwater passed us by. Pomarine Skuas north and south sporadically and a distant flock of three Long-tailed Skuas headed south. A single Black-browed Albatross on the horizon and a couple of Fluttering Shearwaters had us all wondering what next! Black-winged Petrel was what’s next! I didn’t actually get onto it, but Mr P and Mr M were both happy with the view and identification points – a first record for Maroubra in 30 years of seawatching apparently!
A rain storm chased us off the point and into a local bakery/café for a late lunch. When we returned to the rocks, the wind had swung to the northeast and the birds were almost non-existent.

Then it was time to get to the airport and our 18.05 flight. It left on time but was delayed over Brisbane for 30 minutes which extended Mr P’s hell, thanks to his fellow passengers, just that little bit longer……







No comments:

Post a Comment